Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Compass module, temperature sensor, and LCD readout in Car  (Read 1142 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I purchased a brand new 2012 Honda Accord, and come to find out I do not have a temperature reading in my car, which any new car should have!

I have read about arduino for a while and would like to delve into getting acquainted with motherboards....etc.   

I would like to have a arduino unit I can hook up to my car USB for power and have it be able to display the temperature and compass heading.

I will need a arduino board that will support 4 components including the motherboard.  I will need a compass module, temperature sensor and a lcd screen, and arduino board. 

Is this plausible to use my USB port in my car?
What kind of minimum motherboard will I need to support a temperature sensor, compass module, and a lcd readout?
What type of board is the holy grail of arduino that can handle many components and functions and is very versatile?

I do have programming experience, but I would like to purchase a board and sensors ASAP as I am in the vicinity of a massive electronics store that sells these components.

Cheers!

Atlanta
View Profile

There is no holy grail but with what you're trying to do, this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-Compatible-GPS-and-Li-Poly-Board-With-GPS-/270801375023?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0d050f2f along with a cheap display http://www.ebay.com/itm/280912826647?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 and a temperature sensor http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Digital-Thermal-Probe-Or-Sensor-DS18B20-Length-1M-/320915540761?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab80e8b19 would eat this project with plenty to spare

View Profile

Is there any other board that I can use?  Like a official arduino board(blue)?

Atlanta
View Profile

A "Uno" would do same, you'll need to source a gps module separately though

basically, you're looking at
2/4 pins for gps depending how you drive it
7 pins for display
1 pin for temp sensor

View Profile

How will my driving affect the pins for the GPS?
This Uno will have enough connections, is that correct?

Atlanta
View Profile

How will my driving affect the pins for the GPS?
driving = talking to / data retrieval lol

View Profile

haha, Read it wrong, sorry its going to be going in my car and thats what I was thinking.   I really appreciate your help and look forward to building this!!!

Atlanta
View Profile

imho for pure cost scenario, the cutedigi combined gps would definitely be the way to go

View Profile

That is what I am thinking, after seeing the price of a gps unit.   Although if i get a uno is it possible to use this, as all I am concerned with is the compass direction?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12310185&clickid=prod_cs

Atlanta
View Profile

I would have reservations about using this only because you are in a car and it is low-field magnetic sensor, who knows what implications car indicators, general unsheilded wiring harnesses could do to this guy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: