Go Down

Topic: Keyboard Control LED problem (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I am a beginner in both programming and arduino. i am working on a project to drive a robot using inputs from a wireless keyboard. I am using a PC connected serially to the Arduino to transfer the key inputs to the dc motors. as a test run i connected the arduino to an LED and wrote the code to take the key input and turn the LED on and off. i would like to be able to press a key and have the LED light up and turn off when i release the key. so far the light turns on when i press the key and stays on until another key is pressed. i have tried inputting keystrokes from both hyperterminal and putty. any help would be greatly appriciated, my code is below

// variable to store serial data
int incomingByte = 0;

//

void setup(){

// Start serial monitor at 9600 bps
Serial.begin(9600);

// declare outputs
pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
pinMode(12, OUTPUT);

// turn LED Off by default
digitalWrite(13, LOW);

delay(500);

}

//

void loop(){

// check for serial data
if (Serial.available() > 0) {
// read the incoming byte:
incomingByte = Serial.read();
// if available, blink LED and print serial data received.
digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
// say what you got:
Serial.print("I received: ");
Serial.println(incomingByte);
// delay 10 milliseconds to allow serial update time
delay(10);

if (incomingByte == 'q' || incomingByte == 'Q')// keypress to turn on LED
        {
         digitalWrite(12, HIGH);
        }
else
       digitalWrite(12, LOW);

}}

mkwired

Do you want to use a PC in the final design?  If so, you are going to need to use a different program on the PC.  You could write a Processing program to handle the different key states, and it would talk to the Arduino.

References:
See keyboard section: http://www.processing.org/reference/
Using the serial port: http://learning.codasign.com/index.php?title=Communicating_with_Processing_Over_Serial

I was afraid of that, i have a feeling that is beyond my programming capacity at the moment. do you know of any GUI interfaces that other people have used for this type of an application. i have found a lot of people who are doing similar projects online.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy