Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Author Topic: 3 wire solenoid  (Read 5949 times)
United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Either can be made to work, but the lower diagram is conventional and is more efficient.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

View Profile

I connected it that way (the lower one)..

so why doesnt it work that way?

btw. the pulses are pretty quick.. about 100ms (maybe I'll try less, 50 or 10 ms).
does the power loss really matter when its so quick?

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

I connected it that way (the lower one)..

so why doesnt it work that way?

btw. the pulses are pretty quick.. about 100ms (maybe I'll try less, 50 or 10 ms).
does the power loss really matter when its so quick?

What value resistors are you using, and what is the resistance of L1?

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

View Profile

I tried using values that range from 200~ohm to 10k ohm,  I will check the solenoid resistance soon.

thanks.

View Profile

ok, it works, thanks guys,

A small note;
a DC solenoid might require 2 9v batteries, in paralleled connection. (I guess it is obvious but I lost alot of hours on that)

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

a DC solenoid might require 2 9v batteries, in paralleled connection. (
Never, never connect batteries in parallel, they cross charge.

Never use 9V square batteries in motor or solenoid circuits, they have very little current capacity and will very quickly drain.

View Profile

What? why not?

I just connect the positives together and the negetives together, whats the problem? and how do I attach them like that (maybe a diode attached?)

I have a DC irrigation valve that uses 2 9v square batteries, in order to latch the solenoids they have to be paralleled, the solenoid is latch so the drain should be negligible...

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
View Profile

If you must use a 9v battery for that application, I suggest you use a lithium one. They are good for higher currents than the alkaline sort, see http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/la522.pdf. It sounds to me that you are only providing a short pulse to the solenoid, in which case a large capacitor (several thousand uF) in parallel with the battery will help too.

View Profile

Actually that sounds like a great idea!

I will try that tomorrow.

but still, I dont see why using 2 batteries in parallel (with diodes) could do any damage..

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
View Profile

2 batteries + diodes, connected in parallel, is OK. 2 unused batteries out of the same pack of 2 (or more), connected in parallel without diodes, will generally be OK because the batteries should be well-matched; but there is a small risk that if one of the batteries develops a fault, then a lot of heat could be generated. One fresh battery in parallel with one used battery, or a lithium in parallel with an alkaine, is asking for trouble unless each battery has a series diode.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

What? why not?
I told you. They will cross charge.
That means that the battery with the higher voltage will try and charge the battery with the lower one. This is not good for the cells and will cause them to become damaged. Using diodes from each batter will stop this from happening.

View Profile

Yeah, I already have done that, thanks for the heads up.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

There is a little "Trick" that worked well for me and about 1500 radio operated solenoid controllers I built in the 90's... Use a 100 to 470 ohm resistor between the batteries and a 4700uF cap... Keep your pulse width at 100 mS (that was I found almost the perfect time because it provides damping for the solenoid as well). The israeli's make a half dozen different solenoid controllers for and frequently including the solenoid and a valve as well for lawn irrigation control for homes AND Guess what...., They ALL use those 9V transistor batteries. If you take 10 minuted to charge the capacitor it is a small drain on the batteries... But the cap is charged up more than enough to operate the solenoid, Every Time. The rest of the clock (controller) is a Very low power micro controller and most will last for 6 months before the battery needs to be changed.

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

View Profile

the biggest capacitor I have is only 100u, do you think thats enough?

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

the biggest capacitor I have is only 100u, do you think thats enough?

No, but 47 of them in parallel will give you around 4700µF...

Why not visit my eBay shop? http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Majenko-Technologies
Replacement for the Arduino IDE: UECIDE - Proper serial terminal, graphing facilities, plugins, overhauled internals.
Java isn't bad in itself, but it has enabled morons to write programs.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Jump to: