Go Down

Topic: My little homebrew Arduino (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

hoff70

Are there any DIP style chips for usb/micro usb? Or is that just another can-O-worms? I'm just amazed at using discreet (I guess that's the word) components for this stuff!

majenko

DIP is so old school :P

Any decent proto shield (see my eBay shop) has space for SOIC and TSSOP chips.

I find I am working with SOIC more than DIP these days,
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

Tom Carpenter

If you have a PIC programmer, I have an hex file which allows a PIC18F14K50 to be a USB-Serial port including a DTR pin for arduino auto reset - I've been using it for a standalone arduino project and it works well. Its all through hole and only requires a USB socket, 12MHz crystal and a couple of capacitors. (If you don't, I'm sure there must be an Arduino pic programmer project somewhere)
~Tom~

cr0sh

That's what I was planning on doing when I ran into this project. I even picked up an Arduino protoshield and a few ZIF's for the project. I then learned that you can't upload sketches to a bare 328 without removing the chip in the Arduino.  I've been looking at a way of making a shield that will allow burning the bootloader and uploading a sketch without a bunch of fiddling.

I should probably just get a dedicated programmer or cable.

What I believe you do (and what I believe the various ZIF socket shields do) is "transfer" the ATMega (pre-bootloaded) to the ZIF, and remove it from Arduino board. The shield or ZIF board (or what have you) basically has the ZIF socket, plus the crystal/resonator on-board, plus a few other parts - all the other pins and such are brought up via the headers (IIRC when I was researching this, only the clock/xtal pins aren't brought up through the headers, so you have to add that).

Of course, this necessitates always using pre-bootloaded ATMega chips; if your goal is to add the bootloader to completely bare ATMegas, then that solution won't work (though I wonder if you couldn't somehow bring the ICSP pins up in some manner, and use the ArduinoISP sketch or something, maybe with some kind of switches to allow you to select bootloaded or not?).

Maybe your scheme with double ZIF sockets is something along those lines? One socket for a bootloaded chip, the other for non-bootloaded?

Ultimately in the end, if all you are doing is dumping a hex file, you don't even need the bootloader (unless you have some reason or need to allow the end-user to change the code)...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

florinc

DIP is so old school

For some reason, 90% of the kit buyers prefer through hole to SMDs.

Go Up