Go Down

Topic: ATmega328 + 8-bit PWM Out + Envelope = Drum Sound - but how to do the Env? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

WilliamK Govinda

Guys, I need some help with this. I'm doing a small project for a friend who needs two different drum sounds per ATmega328. 8-bit is ok, the only problem is the envelope, as I can't do in software as it would sound terrible (and it does, I tested) since the whole thing is 8-bits.

The drum sounds already works, using PWM for the output, I can even get 6 voices per chip if I wanted, but that's no the case. I need just 2 voices, so I can use the flash to store longer samples.

If you want to check some of the code of the 6 voices drum sounds, here's the link of the project I created:
https://github.com/Beat707/BeatVox
There's some youtube videos, just search on google for BeatVox

Now, here's what I want to do, to create the envelope using another PWM output, and have a Transistor(s) take care of the Envelope/VCA. I have seen circuits for VCAs for modular synths, but I want something dirty cheap and simple, to combine both outputs and have the second determinate the volume output. I know that there will be some DC problems, but maybe I could use a third PWM output to add DC as the Envelope lowers.

I will try to draw some pictures later this weekend to show what I have in mind. And yes, each PWM output will have its own filter to convert to a Voltage output, instead of a PWM output.

Anyway, thank you for any help.

Best Regards, WilliamK

WilliamK Govinda

Here's my current list of Transistors, the ones I got in-house. ;-)

12  x 2N5087 PNP - 100ma
   20  x PN2222 NPN - 600ma
   30  x 2N3904 NPN - 200ma
   30  x 2N3906 PNP - 200ma
   200 x BC547B NPN - 45V - 0.1A
   10  x ULN2803A DIP-18 Transistor Array (8 in/outs) 500ma

I remember using the PN2222 as a voltage controller and a potentiometer, but the test with the PWM had tons of noise, but I have to test again, to be sure I did it right. Since I have NO CLUE on what I am doing, any help would be much appreciated.  :smiley-red:

WilliamK Govinda

I'm also thinking on using an ATtiny85 and just have a single voice per chip, plus use it in 8Mhz internal mode. That will simplify things up, and I can get those chips for very little money, and its easier to import. Brazil import laws are stupid, you end up paying up to 200% the price just on transportation - customs and other fees...  =(  It sucks BIG time...  :smiley-sad-blue:

WilliamK Govinda

A question. Can't I combine two 8-bit PWM outputs to form a single 16-bit output? This way I could do the envelope in software, and have it applied to the output. I just have to figure out how it would work. ;-)

CrossRoads

WilliamK,
Check out some of the videos here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwpgccuxbkw&feature=relmfu
This guy organfairy seems to have all kinds of boxes, one being an envelope generator.
He shows the schematics too with explanations of what the part do.

I think I'd be inclined to run your sound thru a 12-bit DAC, input it as the reference voltage, and use SPI to send in the 12-bit gain.
That works well with analog signals if you have a dual supply DAC so the output can swing around 0V and not have to mess with DC offsets and capacitive coupling to mess with your sound.

http://www.analog.com/en/circuits-from-the-lab/cn0036/vc.html
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

WilliamK Govinda

Here's something interesting:

http://embeddednewbie.blogspot.com.br/2011/02/review-of-arduino-dac-solutions.html

Resistor/PWM hybrid DAC

This is a good explanation on how to combine two PWM outputs in order to double the bit resolution. So combining two 8-bit arduino PWM outputs you can get a 16-bit PWM output! Remember Arduino's limits if you plan on going down this road. I mean, the Atmega chip is just 8-bit...

WilliamK Govinda

I will test this one out soon. The idea is simple, to have the 8-bit sound, and the envelope just multiples from 0 to 255. Just need to test how fast the processor can cope with the math, for at least 1 voice. I will also test with the ATtiny85, since there are enough PWM ports for the same test.

Go Up