Go Down

Topic: Trouble with a boost converter (Read 2501 times) previous topic - next topic

dc42

If you are looking to get 25V at a significant current, you would be better off using a higher voltage to begin with, then reducing it to 5V for the Arduino and any other logic.

Two things that are very critical for a successful switching regulator are the inductor (high enough saturation current, low enough loss) and the circuit layout - in particular the path taken by the switched current.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

aoeud

That is an annoyingly good idea.  I can get a 24 V supply right out of the wall.

aoeud

Aug 05, 2012, 10:58 pm Last Edit: Aug 06, 2012, 12:12 am by aoeud Reason: 1
What I'm looking at now is starting with a 24 V wall wart.

I have a current-limited loop that I want to have the full 24 volts available to, in the hopes of saturating it so I can control it properly.  Then I also want to power the Arduinos with it since it's available, it cuts down on my cables from 3 to 1, so I'm using a buck converter to drop it down to 12 V.

My inclination is to put the current-limited loop in a non-complicated parallel setup with the buck converter, but my inclinations have been wrong in the past. (For instance, I just discovered that the polarity of capacitors does mean something, and about half of my capacitors are hooked up backwards as a result.  Crap.) Do I need to fancy this up at all?

aoeud

Oh, PCB is being suggested for soldering stuff to.  I'm ordering stuff now, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for in that regard.  Can anyone help me with this?

Docedison

Yes IF you state accurately your power supply requirements. This is a link to an easy to use part available in several different current capacities... I used a lot of them from 2003 to 2006 and they all worked very well for me.
http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee122/Parts_Info/datasheets/LT1170.pdf
Figure out what You'll need and let me know. I'll be happy to help as much as I can.

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Go Up