Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Trouble with a boost converter  (Read 2193 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm trying to increase the voltage of my system from 5 volts to 25 volts using a boost converter LT1303 (the adjustable one), found here: http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/lt1303.pdf  My circuit is set up as in the first figure on page 9.  I'm using a 47 microhenry inductor, a 1N5819 diode, two 100 microfarad capacitors, R2=1000 ohms, R1=51 ohms, yielding about 25 volts according to the equation there. LBO, LBI and shutdown are grounded.

Instead I'm reading 1.8 volts.  Is there anything obviously wrong with this setup?

Thanks for your help

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

LBO is an output, you don't need to ground that.
Shutdown Pin Response, bottom middle of page 4, seems to an  output being generated when Shutdown is high.
Try letting it float, or pull it up to 5V.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Hmm, I've never paid much attention to those graphs, figuring them for applications more sensitive than my tooling around.  I'll try that, but first...

Anyhow, more complication.  The voltage (rails and Vout) aren't constant.  Instead they start at a high value (around 2.5 volts) and lower over a few seconds.  Removing the power for a few seconds reverses this.  As a result, my rail is 0.43 volts right now (so I can't trigger the shutdown/stop the shutdown) with Vout at 0.18... Argh.  Disconnecting the boost converter and measuring, the rail is the correct 5 volts.

*Sigh*  I guess I'll take another look in the morning with fresh eyes.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

It sounds like your circuit is not oscillating.

Making a boost converter is quite a tricky thing, it is not something that you can just throw together and expect to work. What sort of current are you expecting to use? The saturation current of the inductor is vital for this.

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

LBI should be connected to Vin.  Shutdown should be connected to ground.  LBO should not be connected.

At the moment you are crippling the device with pins connected to ground that shouldn't be.

Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

View Profile

Grumpy_Mike: I'm using an off-the-shelf IC.  I'm looking for about 10 mA and I'm using an inductor that saturates at 0.5 amps so unless it works differently than I'm thinking I think it should be fine.

Alright, attached LBI to Vin...  Didn't think it mattered.

Though I'm still having the issue of the device pulling my rails down way too low.  I guess it's drawing too much power?

How does the load figure into the setup?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:44:54 pm by aoeud » Logged

View Profile

Here's the circuit as it's set up.  Is it correct?

* Circuit.png (15.52 KB, 810x422 - viewed 34 times.)

Edison Member
View Profile

Do you have another chip? you may already have damaged it

View Profile

I do.  What would have damaged it?

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I'm using an off-the-shelf IC
I know but this sort of circuit isn't something you can just throw together on a bread board. Layout is crucial.   

Edison Member
View Profile

Perhaps having something connected improperly, shorting something out or similiar, especially with it drawing alot without a load,
Also where is the 5v supply from?

View Profile

I've been as careful as I could be in hooking it up, but I tend to make a lot of mistakes converting from schematics to layouts...

I'm using the 5 volt pin in the "power" section of the Arduino Uno.  It's functioning correctly with other loads as far as I can tell.

Australia
View Profile

Boost converters need a substantial amount of current to start, as they have to charge the output capacitor
before the converter starts regulating.
You really need to run them off batteries or a supply that can deliver a few amps , or they wont start.
Whats the current capacity of your 5 V supply.

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

I've been as careful as I could be in hooking it up, but I tend to make a lot of mistakes converting from schematics to layouts...
What are you using for a ground plane?

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

View Profile

...that would explain it quite well.  I guess this is what Mike was getting at. So if I used a smaller capacitor (said as "possible" in the data sheet) this would be more likely to work.  It's 40 mA/channel though I was expecting to ultimately be using several channels.

Alas, no time now!

I'm using a solderless breadboard and grounding to one of the rails.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:29:55 pm by aoeud » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: