Go Down

Topic: Re: Dreaded Serial Monitor -- Xubuntu 13.04 [SOLVED] (Read 388 times) previous topic - next topic

Dec 03, 2013, 03:47 am Last Edit: Dec 03, 2013, 05:14 am by waldzinator Reason: 1
Hi,

I seem to be experiencing the somewhat common issue where my serial monitor won't work.  Prior to uploading a sketch, the Serial Port is listed as /dev/ttyACM0 and checked.  Once I upload and open the serial monitor, there is not output showing and the Serial Port menu option greys out.  I've read through several of the posts about the Cannot find /dev/ttyACM0 issue, and I walked through some of the remediation steps.  None of them seems to fix my issue.  

Ran
Code: [Select]
groups and determined I was a member of the dialout group, but not tty group.  I added myself.  Still not working.

Next, I verified that my
/.arduino/Preferences.txt file listed the default serial.debug baud rate at 14400.  I set it to 9600 and changed file permission to read only.  Still no fix.

I tried changing the permission on the ttyACM0 port to rw.  When I
sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyACM0, I get the output that no file exists.  Indeed, if I browse to ./dev, I don't see this port listed

EDIT - I didn't realize that my arduino wasn't plugged in when I searched for /dev/ttyACM0.  I subsequently ran:
ls -l /dev/ttyACM?,
which returned
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Dec  2 22:22 /dev/ttyACM0

Honestly, never had to use the serial monitor on my netbook (I moved all my Arduino projects over to this for portability --- it's a homebrewing project), so I didn't know this was an issue.  I needed to debug some stuff, so I really need it now!  Help!

After plugging in Arduino, I was able to:
sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyACM0

Yay.  If anything, hopefully somebody finds my thought and work process helpful, as it seems like many Linux users have come across this issue.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy