Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Re: Dreaded Serial Monitor -- Xubuntu 13.04 [SOLVED]  (Read 192 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I seem to be experiencing the somewhat common issue where my serial monitor won't work.  Prior to uploading a sketch, the Serial Port is listed as /dev/ttyACM0 and checked.  Once I upload and open the serial monitor, there is not output showing and the Serial Port menu option greys out.  I've read through several of the posts about the Cannot find /dev/ttyACM0 issue, and I walked through some of the remediation steps.  None of them seems to fix my issue.  

Ran
Code:
groups
and determined I was a member of the dialout group, but not tty group.  I added myself.  Still not working.

Next, I verified that my
Code:
/.arduino/Preferences.txt
file listed the default serial.debug baud rate at 14400.  I set it to 9600 and changed file permission to read only.  Still no fix.

I tried changing the permission on the ttyACM0 port to rw.  When I
Code:
sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyACM0
, I get the output that no file exists.  Indeed, if I browse to ./dev, I don't see this port listed

EDIT - I didn't realize that my arduino wasn't plugged in when I searched for /dev/ttyACM0.  I subsequently ran:
Code:
ls -l /dev/ttyACM?
which returned
Code:
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Dec  2 22:22 /dev/ttyACM0

Honestly, never had to use the serial monitor on my netbook (I moved all my Arduino projects over to this for portability --- it's a homebrewing project), so I didn't know this was an issue.  I needed to debug some stuff, so I really need it now!  Help!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:14:16 pm by waldzinator » Logged

View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

After plugging in Arduino, I was able to:
Code:
sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyACM0

Yay.  If anything, hopefully somebody finds my thought and work process helpful, as it seems like many Linux users have come across this issue.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: