Go Down

Topic: Amiga MOD Player on Arduino Uno (Read 2613 times) previous topic - next topic

JarkkoL

Turned my 8-bit resistor DAC into a 4-channel Amiga MOD player during the weekend. It's been awhile I wrote my last MOD player :D More details in the Youtube description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSQ0eHjO4sk

fungus

Cool!

Maybe you can do it without the resistor-DAC: http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc2542.pdf

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

JarkkoL

Yes, you would need to add capacitor for low-pass filtering though. I'm not quite sure what PWM signal at 16MHz would do to the frequency response though, i.e. is it enough to be able to render close to ~20KHz signals with reasonable accuracy. That would be an interesting experiment though!

cr0sh

Will you be sharing the source/schematics/etc for this later? Seems pretty neat!

Have you seen this guy's stuff (not Arduino):

http://www.linusakesson.net/scene/craft/

...even so, an ATMega88 is not too far off in specs from a 328 - so in theory, one could port such code over...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

JarkkoL

I don't have the schematics, but the player is pushing the audio data to Arduino Uno pins 0-7, and blinking the LED's in pins 8-11.

In the attachment is the code for both MOD player and converter. Converter can be a bit tricky to get to compile since I coded it using the library I have built over the years, which you would have to download & compile, so I also added an exe you can use if you are on Windows platform. There are 3 example tunes in the player though which you can try. The uncommented tune is the one in the video.

mod_player::mix_buffer_batch() is the function doing the heavy lifting of mixing the channels together, and GCC doesn't seem to be doing very good job optimizing the C++ code. It should be fairly easy to write the code in asm for much better performance, which would allow using more channels and higher sampling frequency. Also the mod_player::timer_interrupt() seems to be pretty poor and writing it in asm should also help. I liked to keep the code in C++ so far to keep it more portable, but if someone likes to write optimized asm version for Uno, that would be great (:

martin_bg

Impressive!
You sent me back to 1994 for a minute :)

Lakes

Portable Amiga Mod Player! :D

I still have a collection of my fav amiga mods stored away in the depths of this hard drive somewhere. :)

fungus

Yes, you would need to add capacitor for low-pass filtering though. I'm not quite sure what PWM signal at 16MHz would do to the frequency response though, i.e. is it enough to be able to render close to ~20KHz signals with reasonable accuracy. That would be an interesting experiment though!

Oh, I just saw paper is only for 'Tinys. You can't run the Atmega328 timers at 64MHz like you can on a Tiny.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Jul 29, 2013, 10:13 pm Last Edit: Jul 29, 2013, 10:16 pm by PetriH Reason: 1
Well done Jarkko! Ace stuff as usual.

I have something in the works too... wait for it! ;-)

p.s. wouldn't you need to have a capacitor after the DAC to center the audio signal around zero level? Something I've been wondering for a while when doing audio out...

JarkkoL

Jul 30, 2013, 06:50 pm Last Edit: Jul 30, 2013, 06:54 pm by JarkkoL Reason: 1
Hey Petri, didn't know you are toying with Arduino as well. Can't wait to see what you are working on! (:

To my understanding line-in voltage is DC not AC. People use caps after DAC for low-pass filtering though. I tried 1uF, .1uF and .01uF caps but didn't really hear any difference, though could be I did something wrong. Having an oscilloscope would help (:

Jul 30, 2013, 09:12 pm Last Edit: Jul 30, 2013, 09:14 pm by PetriH Reason: 1
At least according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level
"The line level signal is an alternating current signal without a DC offset, meaning that its voltage varies with respect to signal ground from the peak amplitude (for example +1.5 V) to the equivalent negative voltage (-1.5 V)."

btw. did you try the cap in series or between line out and gnd? When removing the bias the cap is placed in series while in the RC low-pass filter the cap is placed across out and gnd. I think having both caps would improve audio quality (at least when inspeced with an oscilloscope!).

This tutorial has some nice oscilloscope pictures showing the difference with and without caps:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Audio-Output/?ALLSTEPS

And yeah, I've been planning to buy an oscilloscope for a while too :)

JarkkoL

Thanks, that's a good article! I had the cap between line out & gnd for low-pass filter. Didn't know you could use a cap for offsetting as well.

JarkkoL

Aug 12, 2013, 06:40 pm Last Edit: Aug 13, 2013, 02:30 am by JarkkoL Reason: 1
Did some improvements to the music player:

Now it's able to play this 12 channel tune @ 37KHz due to some hand written assembly code and changing the way channels are mixed. Good AVR asm learning exercise (:

JarkkoL

Now the player supports also XM and IT formats, has instrument volume envelope support, and better compression of pattern data. I ported it to Teensy3 as well but the resistor DAC performs quite poorly on it, so I think I'll need proper DAC for it

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy