Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Author Topic: Time for a new iron  (Read 4539 times)
CO, USA
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The Hakko site shows that the FX-888 is made in other colors like black/silver, does anyone know where to find them? The purple and yellow one looks like vomit, I'd prefer to avoid that.

I found those too, except if you read the details, they're not U.S. models. Some time ago, we had this discussion here about swapping out the transformer on a Hakko, or something like that. This one: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=90256.0 or maybe another one too. I'm thinking there was something about temperature calibration involved too, but I could be mistaken on that point.

Anyways, AFAICT, you'd need to pay for shipping from Japan, or maybe England. I spent a bunch of time last year trolling the web for Hakko suppliers, and I never did find anyone in the US with the other case colors.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

There is an Ebay store, Bosity that sells tips for that iron.. $9.45 for 10 assorted tips. I ordered a ste and next week when they arrive... I'll comment on the appearance and apparent quality of the tips.

Well, Doc, what's the scoop?

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

Metcal makes the best soldering equipment. I use a second-hand Metcal STSS power unit with a new MX-500 handpiece and cartridges, it wasn't expensive.

metcal makes 75$ tips and every one I used is like soldering with a match IMO

St. Leonards-on-Sea, E. Sussex, UK.
Ancient developer
View Profile

You must have been buying the wrong ones. They are nothing like $75, give very precise temperature control, last a long time, and a vast range is available making them suitable for any soldering job:

http://www.metcal.com/products/sttc
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:12:55 am by Leon Heller » Logged

Leon Heller
G1HSM

View Profile

My last two Metcal cartridges were $15 or less.  Tip can be as broad or as fine as you want.  I'm using an SP200 unit rather than an MX500, but it works very well for me.  And, if the color of the Hakko is really a problem for you, the Metcal is simple black.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

The Tips are GREAT. indistinguishable from the "Hakko" brand new in their little bags. Well worth a 2 week wait for 10 good tip sizes and to save nearly $50.00 (figuring fry's last price @$5.95 Ea)
I have several tips I bought new several years back from Fry's Electronics and these look great, Identical too in every respect. IF you have 220 Vac Mains service I know where You can buy a Hakko 936 for $50.00 New in the Box...
It might be a discontinued item but it is a valuable workhorse... I bought one from Electrodragon http://www.electrodragon.com/?f=2
and here is the Url for the ironhttp://www.electrodragon.com/?product=hakko-936907-soldering-station-esd-safe. I bought one and a $15.00 110 to 220 V transformer... Not Nearly as Ugly as the 888 iron is and still $20.00 cheaper...
My 926 has lasted for nearly 20 years... A GREAT soldering iron, a real good tool investment.
I cried when I paid $279.95+ tax for my Fluke 179 and besides horrendously expensive fuses (22 24 $ per set of 2, 440 mA and 11A fuses) in the long run though it was one of my best tool investments... buy them Right and Buy them once...

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

The Tips are GREAT. indistinguishable from the "Hakko" brand new in their little bags. Well worth a 2 week wait for 10 good tip sizes and to save nearly $50.00 (figuring fry's last price @$5.95 Ea)

Well, that's cool. I'll have to keep those in mind. I don't do ebay, but bosity.com redirects to suntekstore -- looks like the same deal.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

It Is... I just use Ebay cause they are more or less in the same place, lazy I guess...

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Jump to: