Go Down

Topic: Leonardo better on mac than windows7? (Read 428 times) previous topic - next topic

mingd

Hi all,
Just got my Leonardo in the mail and was excited to try it out. However I found it more sluggish on Windows on several occasions:

Using USB 2.0
1. When Leonardo is plugged in, Arduino 1.0.1 takes much longer to start up
2. Opening sketches take a few extra seconds
3. When ctrl+n is pressed, it takes around 6 secs for a new sketch in Arduino to appear
4. Activating the pull-down menus in the Arduino UI shows slight delay
5. Uploading code to the board takes so long I had to change the delay in the "Keyboard > Reprogramming" example from 1,000ms to 10,000ms for the code to work properly.

Using USB 3.0, I found the above tasks to be marginally faster (didn't try the Reprogramming example though).

Doing the same stuff on an old MBP (1st Gen intel) was a breeze and 'Uno-normal'. The Windows laptop is a new Acer Aspire v3-571, Windows 7, Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz, 6GB RAM, USB 2.0.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Or have I missed something glaringly obvious? Hope to hear from you guys!

~ Ming

kd7eir

I have not experienced similar delays to yours.  I would guess that you have something else interfering, such as security software.

ShuftY

I think the OS always matters. Linux and Mac OS appears always faster to me (not particular to Arduino stuff) in general.

James C4S

I think the OS always matters. Linux and Mac OS appears always faster to me (not particular to Arduino stuff) in general.

Let's not turn this thread into a pointless flame war.

1. When Leonardo is plugged in, Arduino 1.0.1 takes much longer to start up

Just starting up or all or your operations seem slower?

Might try checking antivirus software.  The IDE does some enough file  IO this could add up.

Also, make sure you systems java is up to date.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

mingd

Jul 19, 2012, 06:10 pm Last Edit: Jul 19, 2012, 07:02 pm by mingd Reason: 1
Thanks for all the replies! Your suggestions have helped me isolate the problem to the Bluetooth.

Leonardo behaves normally when bt is off. But in both instances where Leo is/is not connected, switching on bt while running Arduino 1.0.1 brings all the sluggish issues back. Uploading code to the board throws an error and says my serial port is in use > switching off bt solves all problems immediately.

*edit* Just discovered that removing all paired bt devices is the fix. Hope this helps someone.

Louis Davis

Just fyi

There is already an issue opened for this problem: http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=200

Go Up