Go Down

Topic: breadboard bootloader error in IDE 1.0.1 (Read 782 times) previous topic - next topic

fbriggs4

I am running the breadboard bootloader which can be found here http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboardon a stand alone 328P. This has worked very well for me using IDE 0023 but I am trying to use IDE 1.0.1 now and I am getting an error that I can not resolve. When I try to compile I get this error "sketch_jul23a.cpp:1:21: error: Arduino.h: No such file or directory". I know that IDE 0023 used wprogram.h and that IDE 1.0.1 uses Arduino.h so this seems to be the issue. However I do not know how or where to look to make the change. I did look in the boards.txt file but I do not understand it well enough to know what to change. Has anyone else run into this or have suggestions on where to look?

wanderson

There are a number of differences that need to be accounted for to get code to compile under 1.0.x, but at least this "Renamed WProgram.h to Arduino.h. "

I would suggest reviewing; http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Changes
New true random number library available at: http://code.google.com/p/avr-hardware-random-number-generation/

Current version 1.0.1

fbriggs4

wanderson, do you know where it is looking for arduino.h? I looked through the boards.txt file and can not find a reference to Wprogram.h so I am not sure where to make this change.

BlueJakester

You might check here. I believe the header location differences are talked about.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,97455.0.html

wanderson

wanderson, do you know where it is looking for arduino.h? I looked through the boards.txt file and can not find a reference to Wprogram.h so I am not sure where to make this change.

You shouldn't need to tell it where and make sure to capitalize it properly; Arduino.h nor arduino.h  C/C++ is case sensitive.
New true random number library available at: http://code.google.com/p/avr-hardware-random-number-generation/

Current version 1.0.1

fbriggs4

I had a look at that link but I am not using any libraries so I don't think that is my issue. Here is my sketch
Code: [Select]
void setup(){
  int test = 5;
}

void loop(){
}

My code does not do anything at all and it is just used to see if I can compile something with IDE 1.0.1. It keeps looking for Arduino.h and does not seem able to find it. As soon as I try to compile the sketch with another bootloader such as UNO it will compile with no issue. So the problem has to be with the breadboard bootloader. The only file I can find that is related to the bootloader is a boards.txt file. Here is the code I find in the boards.txt file

##############################################################

atmega328bb.name=ATmega328 on a breadboard (8 MHz internal clock)

atmega328bb.upload.protocol=arduino.upload.maximum_size=30720
atmega328bb.upload.speed=57600

atmega328bb.bootloader.low_fuses=0xE2
atmega328bb.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDA
atmega328bb.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
atmega328bb.bootloader.path=arduino:atmega
atmega328bb.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328_pro_8MHz.hex
atmega328bb.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
atmega328bb.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

atmega328bb.build.mcu=atmega328p
atmega328bb.build.f_cpu=8000000L
atmega328bb.build.core=arduino:arduinoatmega328bb.build.variant=standard

atmega328bb.upload.protocol=arduino.upload.maximum_size=30720

atmega328bb.build.core=arduino:arduinoatmega328bb.build.variant=standard

I looked through this and I do not see any reference to WProgram.h so I don't see what I can change to Arduino.h. When I try to compile do you know where it is going to look for the Arduino.h file? Should that reference be in the boards.txt file or am I barking up the wrong tree?

wanderson

The problem code is likely in arduino:arduinoatmega328bb.build.  Go to your hardware directory and look at the core code your using there. 

If you breadboarding a 168/328p you shouldn't need a separate core, try replacing the above with arduino:standard

Current version 1.0.1

fbriggs4

I changed the file name as suggested and that corrected the Arduino.h compile error. However, it started to give me an error that it could not find pins_arduino.h. The solution was to add
atmega328bb.build.variant=arduino:standard
. I am now able to compile with no errors using the breadboard boot loader. Here is the full code for the boards.txt file in case it might help someone else.

atmega328bb.upload.protocol=stk500
atmega328bb.upload.maximum_size=30720

atmega328bb.build.core=arduino:arduino
atmega328bb.build.variant=arduino:standard

Thanks everyone for all the help, I really appreciate it!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy