Go Down

Topic: Extra long headers for shields? (Read 3560 times) previous topic - next topic

skootles

Jul 19, 2012, 06:40 pm Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 03:05 pm by skootles Reason: 1
EDIT: Found them. 6-pin version and 8-pin version.
------

Hey all, I need some advice here.

I just got my first Arduino shield back from the fab and I'm pretty excited about it. I had grabbed some headers that were advertised as "long" and "stackable arduino headers" but I've found that they're too short (10.5mm). When I put my shield on top of an Arduino Uno the board presses against the top of the USB port. This is a problem because it can cause a short on my shield. Here's a photo:

The only other shield I own is an ethernet shield and its headers are really long (14mm). When I put it on my Uno, it has no problems touching the USB jack:

I found some extra-long headers at a local shop but they were so expensive - $1.10 to $1.20 for ONE 6 or 8-pin header. Adding these to the shields will add about $5 to the final cost, which sucks.

Is this a regular problem for people who design shields? Are there any places online I can get these "extra-long" headers? I tried looking around but found nothing conclusive. Should I include these extra-long headers when I sell them, should I include the "long" ones knowing they'll be too short for people, or should I let people buy their own headers completely?

MichaelMeissner

Adafruit offers them a bit cheaper, though with shipping you probably should combine with other orders: https://www.adafruit.com/products/400.

I wish they were more common.

skootles

Those don't say how long they are, and they're also male headers. I found these ones from Adafruit but they're too short (10.5mm, like in my first photo). I wouldn't be totally opposed to using male headers, just as long as they're long enough.

Graynomad

Jul 20, 2012, 12:30 am Last Edit: Jul 20, 2012, 12:37 am by Graynomad Reason: 1
Have a look at the Samtec SSW/SSQ series. They have tails up to 14.83mm long.

According to my data sheet the 8-pin version would have the part # SSW-1-8-24-F-S, but I can't find that at Mouser et al so I may have the number wrong because I have found them before.

EDIT: Here's the data sheet www.robgray.com/temp/SSW-SSQ_TH.pdf

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

liudr

You have not found this yet?

http://dipmicro.com/store/HDR06X1FL

Jameco price is too high!

skootles

Those ones are still only 10.5mm long. Actually, this is where I get the majority of my components, they're cheaper than almost everywhere else.

I ended up revising my design to not go over the USB or power jacks on the board, so I have no problem with using the shorter headers now.

liudr

If you use EAGLE, add the shape of the Arduino connectors in a keepout layer. BTW, they have 10-pin female headers too, for UNO R3

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy