Go Down

Topic: Sanguino 1284p & SoftwareSerial (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

ackbar345

After considerable googling I've come to query the masters (looking at you maniacbug,crossroads & westfw). I am having trouble getting SoftwareSerial working with my Sanguino1284p.

I am using maniacbug's latest firmware, the optiboot 16mhz flavor, with Arduino 1.01.
I had previously been using Arduino0023 & NewSoftSerial with this exact same hardware setup and an older firmware without any problems.

I am using both the hardware ports already.
I am using pins 19,20. RX,TX respectively.
I am using the TimedAction lib to poll every 500 millis.

I am using the TX pin for the sparkfun serial LCD using the serLCD library. This is working fine. I am not writing to it very frequently.
I am using the RX pin for a barcode scanner from sparkfun.

All of this was hunky dory under 0023 and older firmware. I am at the point now where I guess I am going to flash back unless you guys have some wisdom for me...

I saw http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,80483.msg725186.html#msg725186    and it sounds like Madhu was also getting TX to work but not RX.

RX is interrupt driven in SoftwareSerial. I noticed that maniacbug said he derived his bootloader from westfw's optiboot. Looking at the optiboot 4.5 github I see that it says there was an experimental change from using USART0 to USART1 for sketch uploading and that this is considered a beta change. I am wondering if this has something to do with it...

I tried disabling the Serial.begin()'s for my two hardware ports.

I am calling .listen() before I check if there is data available.

Ideas?

ackbar345

Jul 19, 2012, 11:23 pm Last Edit: Jul 19, 2012, 11:46 pm by ackbar345 Reason: 1
OK I downgraded back to my original firmware, which I swear I got from a thread here, and Arduino0023 and everything is working. I would still like to upgrade to 1.01 though.

OK I think this is the firmware I am using successfully now:

https://github.com/mcu786/sanguino1284p

florinc

What are your definitions for SDA and SCL in pins_arduino.h?
I am asking because twi library will pull up both of these pins (in file twi.c).

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy