Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Electrical engineering resources?  (Read 390 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all,

So my Arduino Uno R3 arrived today (purchased it for $20 from Amazon, not bad) along with the resistors, LEDs and jumper wires I need to get started. Unfortunately, the breadboard and other various components that I ordered from SparkFun are still on their way. I successfully loaded up the IDE and updated the Arduino drivers, so I'm good to go on that front as well.

My question is regarding an introduction to electrical engineering. Since I do not have any experience whatsoever with electrical engineering I thought I would start learning about it while I wait on my other materials. Do any of you have a good book, website, or reference manual of some sort that kind of goes through the basics and maybe some more advanced concepts eventually, as well? I really have no prior experience in this so any information at all would be useful. I do have familiarity with programming (not an expert at it but not totally new to it either) so a focus on the electrical rather than the programming aspect would be preferred.

Thanks!

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I like this site for analog stuff. Covers stuff I would look up in my text books from Sophomore year that Covered Op Amps. 
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/opamp/opamp_1.html

The other Sophomore year course that comes in handy for this stuff was COLD, Computer Organized Logic & Design.
Would address the relatively easy digital stuff arduino does - reading switches, driving LEDs, driving motors, interfacing with shift registers, etc.

What comes in the handiest tho is just reading the data sheets.  Don't rely on libraries - read the data sheet, understand the signals & commands needed to set up internal registers, etc.

Application notes for chips are useful too.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Thanks for the advice! I'll give some of that a read--beyond that I'll just start working on some projects and learn as I go.

Thanks again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: