Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Looking for a project  (Read 639 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello, i am looking for a project that i can do using my arduino uno.

It needs to be quite advanced and have room for development and expansion as it is for my AQA Baccalaureat project (if anyone knows what that is)  smiley-razz  the project will probably need arround 20 hours of work and be quite cheap i.e. arround £50 excluding arduino, i have an arduino uno and baisic electronics equipment (wires, breadboard, servos, resistors etc.) as well as an addafruit motor controller and other baisics.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

if anyone knows what that is
Nope.

the project will probably need arround 20 hours of work and be quite cheap
Who has imposed these constraints?

i have an arduino uno and baisic electronics equipment (wires, breadboard, servos, resistors etc.) as well as an addafruit motor controller and other baisics.
But, what do you want to do with them?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
You are more likely to persevere with the project, and do more with it, if the project is of interest to you. Without know what your interests are, project suggestions are useless. Music? Photography? Robotics? Got to be something that makes you say "Hey!".

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/bacc.php

Santa Fe
View Profile

based dxw00d's link, the AQA degree sounds so nebulous that anything will do. As a beginner though, I think you can expect 20 hours to be a minimum time required for any Arduino project that has even a spark of originality rather than just a cut and past from what others have done.

Dallas, TX USA
Edison Member
View Profile

I would not associate:
It needs to be quite advanced and have room for development and expansion
with
the project will probably need arround 20 hours of work

In my mind an "advanced" project will take considerable more time than 20 hours.

--- bill

Edison Member
View Profile

You could spend 19 hours "working" just thinking and planning a project that takes an hour to physically build
one project I had took me about two hours to solder everything, however I spent countless hours designing the pcb, multiple revisions, a few major changes along the way, countless minor changes, a few hours alone making the tracks, moving connections around, adding extra connections etc
then there's the 20kb code that looks nothing like the original, hours streamlining and working out errors, fixing delays in librarys, probably an extra hour when 1.0 came out updating everything
cost me like 200$ total, although half of that was prototypes and components I couldn't reuse
Alot of time can be spent just learning about the components you have, or learning new effecient methods of coding, but you definitely will want to pick something you like, 20 hours is a long time if your just in it for a grade
For ideas usually flashing leds, matrixed leds(perhaps in cube form), moving lasers, rc car, environmental sensors, graphic interface, internet connectivity are good ones, perhaps combine all that into a cool robot lol

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

The "AQA Baccalaureat" appears to be pre collage prep program for secondary school students, not collage/university level.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

View Profile

sorry, maybe i should have explained better, as has now been stated the AQA Bacc is a secondary school add on, not university level, but the progect will have a write up where i explain what i did and problems and fixes with a conclusion etc.

the project will probably need arround 20 hours of work and be quite cheap
Who has imposed these constraints?

I have imposed these constrains because i am a student so dont have loads of cash but that ammount is reasonably flexible and i have said 20 hours as a minimum realy.

in regards to my experience, i am by no means a noob, i am infact teaching simple programming and robotics to younger students at my school, but nor am i a pro. Despite this i need a project above by ability level as the AQA Bacc course is all about learning and expanding your knowlege.

My orrigional idea was motion tracking with something like a CMUcam and using that data to influence servos and other outputs, (maybe for a line following robot) untill i found out that the cmucam is arround £100 :/ but this will give you an idea of the amount of work i am looking at.
And as for instrests, i am probably wavering towards he robotics side of things and maybe learning how to use Programming on a computer to interface with arduino.

Once again thankyou for any help.

View Profile

I have a project idea that would be very simple and is yet a "new" creation.  Arduino (or possibly AtTiny85), Hobby or possibly stepper motor, Accelerometer and some common hadware-store stuff.  I'll even reimburse you for parts if you mail me the project

I just don't have the time to do the creations myself.

Send me an email,
Dan@Alich.com
Dan

View Profile

Any other ideas from people?

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You might get some inexpensive servos and make a simple robotic arm. The construction could be as simple as using hot glue and craft sticks. Some youtube searches should provide examples of simple arduino projects.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Here is a list of advanced projects from the playground:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Projects/Ideas#Advanced

New Jersey
Faraday Member
View Profile

Try to make it something modular, so that it is quickly useful, but can have functions added if you have time. An example I've suggested before is a greenhouse controller. At its simplest, you can simply read the temperature and turn on an extractor fan if it's too hot. If you have time, you can go on to measuring soil moisture and air humidity and spray water or microirrigate individual plants. For more temperature control, you can open windows and close blinds. The aim is to end with a working product, however many functions you added, a robot seems more all or nothing, although of course you can take the same approach there and add sensors/functions once you have the basic chassis working.

View Profile

Thankyou all for your help smiley

Try to make it something modular, so that it is quickly useful, but can have functions added if you have time. An example I've suggested before is a greenhouse controller. At its simplest, you can simply read the temperature and turn on an extractor fan if it's too hot. If you have time, you can go on to measuring soil moisture and air humidity and spray water or microirrigate individual plants. For more temperature control, you can open windows and close blinds. The aim is to end with a working product, however many functions you added, a robot seems more all or nothing, although of course you can take the same approach there and add sensors/functions once you have the basic chassis working.

Oh, thankyou, that is i a good idea, unfortunately we sold our greenhouse a few months ago, but i suppose the same applies to home automation or some other simmilar system?

New Jersey
Faraday Member
View Profile

I would assume that you will have to demonstrate this system at your school, so implementing it in the greenhouse would likely be problematic. You could build a small version that can be moved though - think cloche and three or four pot plants, or a windowsill hydroponics setup. And as you say, home automation is expandable in the same way, but again, you would likely have to build a smaller scale version that simulates the house systems in some way. There's plenty of material to read in the home automation forum - look particularly for posts by draythomp.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: