Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Making LEDs go super super bright  (Read 504 times)
Brampton, Ontario
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

is there a way, such as hooking up more voltage to an LED (I've tried, doesn't work) to make it go more bright?

Atlanta
View Profile

over-driving a high powered led certainly does make it go super-bright... followed by super dim of you keep over-driving it

Think strobe-lights
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 06:21:58 pm by abrookfield » Logged

Brampton, Ontario
View Profile

I've compared 5V to 1 LED to 20V to 1 LED and there was no difference

Sydney, Australia
Edison Member
Big things come in large packages
View Profile

LEDs are fixed voltage. The brightness varies by the current you pass through until they burn out.

If you have resistors in series you can reduce the resistance to get more brightness (ie, more current for the same voltage). Arduino pins can drive about 40mA, LEDs are generally operated at 20mA or less to be safe. The higher the current the lower the LED life.

If you want super bright LEDs you need to buy them specified that way rather than overdrive standard LEDs.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 06:57:53 pm by marco_c » Logged

Arduino libraries http://arduinocode.codeplex.com
Parola hardware & library http://parola.codeplex.com

USA
View Profile

You don't say why you want your LED brighter.  If it's part of a multiplexed array, it might be too dim because it's only on for a relatively short time, compared to the cycle time of the array.  If that's why, look here:  http://www.gardasoft.com/uploads/APP930%20Overdriving%20LEDs.pdf.  It'll tell you how to overdrive LEDs when you operate them at low duty cycles.  Be warned, though, that LEDs have maximum ratings that are peculiar to the particular device, and you probably have no way of knowing which LED you're using.  You'll have to make educated guesses if you use this method.  You'll also want to be pretty careful during development - if your program fails to turn an LED off, that LED will fail.

If you just want a continuously lit LED to be brighter, you can run the current up to the maximum for the LED, which is typically 20mA.  If that's not enough, you're stuck with buying a high-brightness LED.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 09:46:41 pm by tmd3 » Logged

Brampton, Ontario
View Profile

I was just curious.. Thanks guys, will keep this all in mind ^.^

Boston Suburbs
God Member
I am above your silly so-called "Laws", Mister Ohm.
View Profile

TMD, that is an interesting pdf.  Wish more info was provided.. Seen other that is similar though.

I am currently overdriving some 10watt rated LEDs at about 12watts (feeding 1.2a rather than 1A), but as the pdf says, I only do that pulsed, for photography.  Even then, 20% over isn't a huge deal.. Shortens life, but life is 50k hours....

Going higher, the main concerns are heat and melting the internal connections with the current pulse..

When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: