Go Down

Topic: Soldering mistake... (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

nate890

I found blowing through it didn't work much at all... The solder dried before it would even be able to come out.

JoeN

I found blowing through it didn't work much at all... The solder dried before it would even be able to come out.

It worked for me, but it was only a "film" over the hole, not a "glop" since I had first cleaned it up with a wick, it just didn't remove the last 1% for some reason.  Anyway, I don't recommend it!!  I've since bought a pump too...
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

nate890

Yeah, I've actually ordered this very cheap pump off of ebay to see how it goes (http://www.ebay.com/itm/221052532667?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

AndyCC

Jul 23, 2012, 10:23 pm Last Edit: Jul 23, 2012, 10:27 pm by AndyCC Reason: 1
Desoldering wick is just braided copper with flux in it. It is really cheap and everyone should have some - but if you're stuck somewhere without it, you can approximate it with stranded copper wire.

Fan out the strands a little, let the solder wick into them, and then repeat until the solder is gone. If you have liquid / gel flux, dip the strands in that first to make life easier.

justjed

Another non-orthodox solution is to melt the solder and quickly bang you board aganst an ashtray ...

I do still have 1 or 2 of those around ... someplace. Used to have them deployed in at least 3 rooms.

Also don't have to worry about burns either as I don't wear hot pants...

Thanks for the visual, Doc.  :smiley-eek:
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Go Up