Go Down

Topic: Feasibility for stepper motor powered Stand Up Desk (Read 86 times) previous topic - next topic

montskak

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build my first Arduino Project, and I would like to get some advice/help on where to start.

I have a standup desk at work, which is currently manually operated with a hand crank.
I want to use a stepper motor to automate this!

In the long term, I would like to hook this up to an API so I can access it through a web application.
Short term, a button to move the desk up and down!

I've attached a few photos of the desk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Questions encouraged!

Thanks heaps,
Montskak

Delta_G

That's totally possible.  There are tons of tutorials on the internet for how to control arduino through a web app.  Try google.  You'll need a wifi shield or an ethernet shield to connect to the internet, or a computer that is connected to the internet that can send signals via a serial interface to the arduino. 
Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo.  So little time - so much to know!  ~Jeremy Hillary Boob Ph.D

montskak

Cheers Delta_G!

Any ideas about stepper motors? I'm wondering how the power will work, although I'm unsure of the exact weight I know the desk top will be reasonably heavy. A friend suggested a gearbox, however I don't have a good idea where to start!

dave-in-nj

mechmate is a large format cnc router. it uses steppers with a geared head.  very high quality design
a NEMA-23 triple stack geared stepper would handle your table.  need a suitable driver.

Robin2

You may find something useful in stepper motor basics.

You should also consider whether a simple geared DC motor driving a screw would be a simpler and cheaper option.

...R

Go Up