Go Down

Topic: arduino uno seen as /dev/ttyACM0: "echo" working only if "cat" is on? (Read 3396 times) previous topic - next topic

andreo73

Hi
I've connected an arduino uno (controlling fans and reading a temp. sensor) to a wireless router where openwrt is installed, the connection is through USB and openwrt mounts arduino as /dev/ttyACM0 (cdc acm driver)

the code running on arduino is a small interactive menu: e.g. if "A" is read on the serial port it switches on the fans and print out a message on the serial, etc.

on openwrt with "microcom -D/dev/ttyACM0" I can interact with arduino in a smooth way, sending characters and receiving messages

I would like to send characters directly through the commandline, e.g. "echo A > /dev/tyyACM0" but it does not work, i.e. nothing happens

the "echo" command only works when (on another terminal) I have a "cat" session opened, i.e. "cat < /dev/ttyACM0" is running: in this case when I send characters with "echo" I get the correct messages on the terminal where "cat" is running and arduino behaves correctly

it is however annoying that - to issue a command (send a character) - I have to open another terminal and keep cat open

any idea?

thanks

Andrea

dxw00d

I would think that the cat session is holding the Arduino serial port open. Without that, each time you echo a character to the port, the Arduino will be doing its serial port open auto-reset. http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/DisablingAutoResetOnSerialConnection might help.

Flop

hello, this is an old post but google is pointing here.

I found a workaround for this problem on the web.
On the openwrt console you must type :

cat /dev/ttyACM0 &

( the & symbol will keep executing this command but in background preventing the reset )

You can add it in a script at boot.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy