Go Down

Topic: UV photography, DIY... thoughts? Offtopic! (Read 748 times) previous topic - next topic

focalist

Jul 23, 2012, 07:50 pm Last Edit: Jul 23, 2012, 08:07 pm by focalist Reason: 1
So I am sitting here having to kill a little time when something occurred to me.

I have been mulling over playing with some wet plate printing with Siver Nitrate, thinking about interesting things that could be done on a textured surface among other things.  Probably another of my million nutty ideas, I know... But I try to make nutty ideas work and sometimes succeed.

In any case, what occurred to me is that one could mix a flourescent dye or chemical (I am thinking of using tonic water to make the colloidon or even the silver solution, Quinine dissolved in tonic water is nicely fluorescent at about 400nm lighting) and use the fluorescence of the chemical to expose "film", the silver layer.  It would probably produce a very interesting effect, though I suspect a lot of bleed exposure would happen.  It might be really cool if used to make a UV photopositive "print".

I am thinking this ought to make "film" that is indirectly sensitive to UV and lower wavelengths.   The UV excites the dye which exposes the adjacent silver nitrate just as visible light would. You then expose using UV or through Woods glass and develop.. Which leaves a negative in black metallic silver, just like standard black and white.  Standard develop and fix.. Except now, when exposed to UV, you will now have a flourescent photopositive due to the unexposed areas allowing the quinine (still present in colloidon) to fluoresce.  The exposed areas now block the UV, and do not flouresce.   I am just thinking this would make for a very cool effect if done right... Thoughts?

I'm sure it's been thought of before, but probably in a scientific way etc.  I am more about the artistic aspect of the outcome.   I bet something like this is done for physics imaging or similar stuff...
When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

westfw

Silver film is natively sensitive to UV...
However, normal glass (lenses) are not very transparent to uv.

Jul 24, 2012, 05:29 pm Last Edit: Oct 19, 2012, 07:08 am by warunasanjaya11 Reason: 1
I have been mulling over playing with some wet plate printing with Siver Nitrate, thinking about interesting things that could be done on a textured surface among other things.

Why do you use Silver Nitrate to print?
In any case, what occurred to me is that one could mix a flourescent dye or chemical and use the fluorescence of the chemical to expose "film", the silver layer.

Why do you think you can mix a fluorescent dye or chemical to use the fluorescence of the chemical to expose "film", the silver layer?

I am thinking this ought to make "film" that is indirectly sensitive to UV and lower wavelengths.

Why do you think you should create film which is deviously sensitive to UV and lower wavelengths?
The UV excites the dye which exposes the adjacent silver nitrate just as visible light would.

Why do you say the UV provokes the dye which exposes the nearby silver nitrate just as perceptible light would?
I think you can get an idea of UV photography in following link:
Please click this link.

Dashquid
fatlossprofessional.co.uk
fatlossprofessional
mobilehelper
securetrip
whichpetcover
google
abc
facebook
craigslist

focalist

Dude, relax.  Thought experiment while I waited in a doctors office.

Of course a colloidon made with uv reactive chemicals is reactive, please explain your belief it wouldn't...lol.

I was talkin about having the dye fluoresce, thereby exposing nearby silver halide.  Get a grip.... Nothing "devious" about that... And yes, I am familiar with standard UV photography.

I did forget about the direct reaction to UV though.  As for the lens issue... Pinhole camera, anyone?
When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

Go Up