Go Down

Topic: problem controlling Servos through C# (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Fullmetal691

Jul 24, 2012, 03:46 am Last Edit: Jul 24, 2012, 05:18 am by Fullmetal691 Reason: 1
I am starting an autonomous car project. I have all my plans, and the equipment. I am using an old RC truck, and removing the receiver.  I plan to use the Arduino to control the servos that drive the steering and old mechanical throttle. Before I make it fully autonomous, id like to be able to run some tests, controlling the servos not via the Arduino automatically, but by interfacing to the computer, and controlling it via a program.  The part i'm having problems with is sending a numerical value over the serial connection. I have tried just sending the value(I made a slider that was supposed to change the brightness of an LED, with a value of 0-255), but that didn't work at all. The issue I am having is that sending a value of 255 yielded a serial result of 65,65,65,65,65(each on a new line). I'm assuming that's because of the way the serial data transmission works. how do I send over the data(in my case, a value from 0-180 for the servos, and a letter T or S for throttle or steering), and then reassemble it on the other side. I know how to send it in C#, I just don't know how to format the message, or how to translate it back to the number value on the Arduino side.

I attached a snapshot of my program, It doesn't do anything right now, as I haven't figured out how to format my message to the Arduino, but the track bar has a value of 0-180, and its default is 90(center on a servo).

Code: [Select]
#include <Servo.h>

Servo ThrottleServo;          // Define Throttle servo
Servo SteeringServo;         // Define Steering servo

void setup()
{
  ThrottleServo.attach(10); //Throttle is set to digital pin 10
  SteeringServo.attach(9);  //Steering is set to digital pin 09
  ThrottleServo.write(90);  //Center Throttle(stopped)
  SteeringServo.write(90);  //Center Steering(straight)
  Serial.begin(9600); //Open the serial port for debugging.
}
//BEGIN SECTION OF CONTROL FUNCTIONS(used for autonomy);
void forward()
{
  ThrottleServo.write(180);
}

void reverse()
{
   ThrottleServo.write(0);
}

void stopcar()
{
  ThrottleServo.write(90);
}

void SteerLeft()
{
  SteeringServo.write(0);
}

void SteerRight()
{
  SteeringServo.write(180);
}
//END SECTION OF CONTROL FUNCTIONS

void loop()
{
  //For debugging, place control code here.
}

This is what I have so far.

marco_c

Look at this thread "Simple-yet-powerfull - Serial Command input with numbers" as somewhere to start

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,115174.0.html

Arduino libraries http://arduinocode.codeplex.com
Parola hardware & library http://parola.codeplex.com

zoomkat

For simple servo testing you can try the below code with the serial monitor.

// zoomkat 10-22-11 serial servo test
// type servo position 0 to 180 in serial monitor
// or for writeMicroseconds, use a value like 1500
// for IDE 0022 and later
// Powering a servo from the arduino usually *DOES NOT WORK*.

String readString;
#include <Servo.h>
Servo myservo;  // create servo object to control a servo

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  myservo.writeMicroseconds(1500); //set initial servo position if desired
  myservo.attach(7);  //the pin for the servo control
  Serial.println("servo-test-22-dual-input"); // so I can keep track of what is loaded
}

void loop() {
  while (Serial.available()) {
    char c = Serial.read();  //gets one byte from serial buffer
    readString += c; //makes the string readString
    delay(2);  //slow looping to allow buffer to fill with next character
  }

if (readString.length() >0) {
    Serial.println(readString);  //so you can see the captured string
    int n = readString.toInt();  //convert readString into a number

// auto select appropriate value, copied from someone elses code.
    if(n >= 500)
    {
      Serial.print("writing Microseconds: ");
      Serial.println(n);
      myservo.writeMicroseconds(n);
    }
    else
    {   
      Serial.print("writing Angle: ");
      Serial.println(n);
      myservo.write(n);
    }

readString=""; //empty for next input
  }
}

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

PaulS

The part i'm having problems with is sending a numerical value over the serial connection.

And the code that did that looked like?

while (Serial.available()) {
    char c = Serial.read();  //gets one byte from serial buffer
    readString += c; //makes the string readString
    delay(2);  //slow looping to allow buffer to fill with next character
  }

What a crappy starting point. Relying in Strings and thinking that delay() is a useful way of ensuring that the whole packet is received. Neither is a good idea. Some end-of-packet marker is a MUCH better idea. No delay() needed.

I have tried just sending the value(I made a slider that was supposed to change the brightness of an LED, with a value of 0-255), but that didn't work at all.

No code == no help;

The issue I am having is that sending a value of 255 yielded a serial result of 65,65,65,65,65(each on a new line). I'm assuming that's because of the way the serial data transmission works. how do I send over the data(in my case, a value from 0-180 for the servos, and a letter T or S for throttle or steering), and then reassemble it on the other side. I know how to send it in C#, I just don't know how to format the message, or how to translate it back to the number value on the Arduino side.

You've provided no proof that you know how to get the slider value or how to send that value to the Arduino. You;ve provided no output from the sender or the receiver.

What you want to do is very easy. Modifying your code to send/receive that information may or may not be. Without seeing all of your code, there is no way to tell.

Fullmetal691

The part i'm having problems with is sending a numerical value over the serial connection.

And the code that did that looked like?

private void trackbar1_scroll(object sender,Args e)
          {

ArduinoPort.Writeline(trackbar1.value); //ArduinoPort is a SerialPort object set to COM4 <-- trackbar 1.value is from 0-255
           }

I have tried just sending the value(I made a slider that was supposed to change the brightness of an LED, with a value of 0-255), but that didn't work at all.

No code == no help;

see above code

Go Up