Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
Author Topic: attiny 85, any pointers?/  (Read 17410 times)
Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Join the club. I agree with everything you have said - it is extreemly difficult to debug these things.

This is why I develop my Tiny85 code on a Tiny84.

But you can get creative.

Creativity is the key. Usually there's a LED or something that you can flash codes on. Or pulses on an oscilloscope. Or clicks on a speaker. Or...anything a human can see/hear.

I like little OLED screens - you can connect some of them to Arduinos with just one or two wires, eg. http://cgi.ebay.com/itm/370779189389

I2C can share pins with SPI if you're careful, ie. never change the data line when the clock line is high (that's an I2C 'start' signal). That screen can connect to a Tiny's USI pins in parallel with an nRF24L01+ module, no extra I/O pins needed (I've done it)

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

View Profile

Thanks guys, I'll try with the led debugging stuff you suggested and let you know!
Quick question, do I need to have the receiver portion working to test the transmitter (i.e. is there any acknowledge that the tx is expecting from the rx) ? Or I can just setup the attiny with the "debugger" code you posted and start transmitting without any receiver device? 

Thanks so much,
Fabio
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:36:38 am by fgasparri » Logged

Europe, Malta
View Profile

Thanks guys, I'll try with the led debugging stuff you suggested and let you know!
Quick question, do I need to have the receiver portion working to test the transmitter (i.e. is there any acknowledge that the tx is expecting from the rx) ? Or I can just setup the attiny with the "debugger" code you posted and start transmitting without any receiver device? 

Thanks so much,
Fabio

Nope. That's the best thing about it, it's just there to test the wiring on the attiny.

View Profile

someone could run the library with ATTINY44?

Europe, Malta
View Profile

Ship me an ATTINY44 and I'll do it for you smiley
Otherwise, just take a look at the SPI85 class and change the pins. You'll need to find which are the correct pins for MOSI, MISO, SCK, etc.. for the ATTINY44 and put them there. Good luck!

Canada
Go Banana!
View Profile

Ship me an ATTINY44 and I'll do it for you smiley
Otherwise, just take a look at the SPI85 class and change the pins. You'll need to find which are the correct pins for MOSI, MISO, SCK, etc.. for the ATTINY44 and put them there. Good luck!

Funny enough I've done this with an 84 and for some reason, haven't had any luck.

Europe, Malta
View Profile

I have a couple of 84s on the way. I have had some very thourough experience with the 85s, and have routines ready that can check if all the wiring, etc.. is OK. I think, if there's a way, I'll probably manage, the only problem is if I have time to do it. I will share the wiring and code if I manage.

View Profile

Take a look at this example, use the same ATTINY85 and within comments puts another example using a ATTINY44.

http://www.insidegadgets.com/2012/08/22/using-the-nrf24l01-wireless-module/

Europe, Malta
View Profile

Take a look at this example, use the same ATTINY85 and within comments puts another example using a ATTINY44.

http://www.insidegadgets.com/2012/08/22/using-the-nrf24l01-wireless-module/

Really, do take a look at the SPI85 class man. One of the files is literally something like
mosi = PA5;
miso = PA6;
etc.. Where PA5 and PA6 are pin names.
Then, find the datasheet for the ATTINY44:
PA5 (ADC5/DO/MISO/OC1B/PCINT5)
PA6 (PCINT6/OC1A/SDA/MOSI/DI/ADC6)
PA4 (ADC4/USCK/SCL/T1/PCINT4)
Those are the important ones. CE and CSN are probably variable.
Finally, make sure everything is wired correctly. Then use the code I've posted previously to check the wiring. Sorry I can't help any more, really busy.

View Profile

sorry if bother you was not my intention, my question was just to ask if it was possible to make it work, do not spend more time on this library because I had found the one I posted recently, now I have at least two options to try.

Europe, Malta
View Profile

sorry if bother you was not my intention, my question was just to ask if it was possible to make it work, do not spend more time on this library because I had found the one I posted recently, now I have at least two options to try.

I actually had used that out of desperation in those four days I spent debugging. You'll find my name on that page as "David" smiley

You may find it is not easy to get it up and running. You will need to install WinAVR, programmer's notepad and set up the makefile to get it to compile and send it to the ATTiny44. Fortunately I have the Makefile already set up, it's in one of the dropbox links in one of my questions on that page.
You can try but I don't recommend it. You will waste lots of time setting it up, and even if you manage to get it to work, the arduino libraries are missing in AVR, and it's a whole different level of coding. Don't know what's your experience in that area. If you have time, go ahead, nothing to lose but try! smiley

View Profile

I already make the changes to the file to make it work with the ATTINY44, also change files mirf.cy mirf.h setup.c fail me burn only the ATtiny, I'll do that tomorrow also see what I can do I'll take a look at your code because I have only one module NRF24L01 free to use

Europe, Malta
View Profile

Watch out, by the way. I've managed to burn 3 nRF modules by swapping around the ground and VCC at 3 AM. Happened  for a second or two and from then on it just wouldn't receive anything. It would return 0 or 255 randomly as status instead of working. I can confirm this as when I replaced it with a different card, it worked.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Anything is possible
View Profile

I've managed after five days of mucking around with it smiley
Remember to try different channels. That may have been one of the problems for me.
Here's the code I'm using right now (that works):

ATTiny85:
Code:
#include <avr/io.h>
#include <inttypes.h>
#include <avr/interrupt.h>
#include <util/delay.h>
#include <SPI85.h>
#include <Mirf85.h>
#include <nRF24L0185.h>
#include <MirfHardwareSpiDriver85.h>

const int bufferSize = 2;
byte buffer[] = {
  'D','S'
};

#define CE  PB3 //ATTiny
#define CSN PB4 //ATTiny

void setup(){
  Mirf.cePin = CE;
  Mirf.csnPin = CSN;
  Mirf.spi = &MirfHardwareSpi;
  Mirf.init();

Mirf.setRADDR((byte *)"clnt2");
  Mirf.payload = 2;
  Mirf.channel = 80;
  Mirf.setTADDR((byte *)"clnt1");
  Mirf.config();
}

void loop(){
  Mirf.send(buffer);
  while( Mirf.isSending() )
  {
    delay(1);
  }
  delay(1000);
}

I can't seem to find the below *85 header files, which libs are they from ??
#include <SPI85.h>
#include <Mirf85.h>
#include <nRF24L0185.h>
#include <MirfHardwareSpiDriver85.h>

Or could you just zip up all the attiny & headers and shared it as a dropbox links ?

Thanks

Europe, Malta
View Profile

Or could you just zip up all the attiny & headers and shared it as a dropbox links ?

Thanks

They are on this thread, look at this post:
Guess my phone didn't upload it right, ill try again
i may have to get a different browser on my phone

make sure you are logged in or you won't see the file.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:15:55 pm by Davste » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
Jump to: