Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino prank ideas - please post your ideas!  (Read 4486 times)
Dubai, UAE
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The box/horn is a pretty cool idea.

Duane B

View Profile

go with the horn idea maybe set it off when a certain word is typed or a certain action happens such as opening an internet browser.

View Profile

I'm working on my first project and kinda new. But I'm using a mosfet chip (transistor) to dim my led lights. Couldn't you put one in line on the mouse and keyboard. It would make the curser move extreamly slow and glitchy would it not? And some keys would miss and then hit right?

View Profile

go get a fog machine and hook it up to the Arduino and put it to a sensor for example microphone to detect noise or PIR motion sensor. once you get a reading wait 5 min and activate smoke machine. place behind computer. They think computer is blowing up.

This is a great idea, but you don't need to go to the expense of buying a fog machine, you can build your own in a bottle cap. All you do is put a high value resistor in a bottle cap or other small bowl-shaped container, connect one end to a diode to keep the power from flowing back into the Arduino, and connect the diode to a digital pin and the other end of the resistor to ground. You can then put smoke machine fluid, e-cig juice, or food grade Propeline Glycol (Liquid Smoke) in the cap and program your Arduino to deliver voltage to the circuit when you want smoke.

You'll have to experiment with resistor values, and it can take a while for the resistor to get hot enough to produce smoke, so you'll want to work on the timing too. If you want things to happen a little quicker you can use a 9 volt battery and a relay triggered by the Arduino.

WARNING: Do not connect the high value resitor directly to a digital pin without some way to keep the current from backing up on you, unless you want the smoke to come directly from the Arduino.

Edison Member
If you're not living on the Edge, you're taking up too much space!
View Profile

Better rethink that.  Electrons are not like water.  Or are they?

If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Queens, New York
Faraday Member
"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most" -Ozzy Osbourne
View Profile

You should use the Leonardo to remap his keyboard change the backspace key to the spacebar and (vice versa).
Or everytime he presses Enter, it would delete one word at a time of whatever he types.

Created Libraries:
TFT_Extension, OneWireKeypad, SerialServo, (UPD)WiiClassicController, VWID

NE PA
View Profile

Do they have a tv? With a simple IR LED you can control their tv, so you could randomly turn their volume up and down, change the channel, etc.

Edit: I just realized how old this thread is. Why was it bumped?

View Profile

Sparkfun has 120+db car horns for $5

View Profile

There is a kit that has a michrophone and when you speak to it ,it convert your voice to robot voice or another  voice(I don't remember but has two or trhee options) Go to this link: http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/surv/ck211.htm
You can hide the speaker somewhere to his desk and speek with diferent voices or something else.....Good luck and please let me know what you've done!!!!

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Wire up micro switches in random places, when opened/closed have a sound go off in a totally different place, and  not immediately repeatable, to disguise what caused it.

Oooh - add random delay too! And same sound triggerable from different places.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:13:22 pm by CrossRoads » Logged

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Lacey, Washington, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

go get a fog machine and hook it up to the Arduino and put it to a sensor for example microphone to detect noise or PIR motion sensor. once you get a reading wait 5 min and activate smoke machine. place behind computer. They think computer is blowing up.

This is a great idea, but you don't need to go to the expense of buying a fog machine, you can build your own in a bottle cap. All you do is put a high value resistor in a bottle cap or other small bowl-shaped container, connect one end to a diode to keep the power from flowing back into the Arduino, and connect the diode to a digital pin and the other end of the resistor to ground. <snip>
WARNING: Do not connect the high value resitor directly to a digital pin without some way to keep the current from backing up on you, unless you want the smoke to come directly from the Arduino.

1. You shouldn't be putting out more than about 20mA from an Arduino pin, or 40mA max for a short time. So you'll need a driver transistor of some kind.

2. Current doesn't "back up", power doesn't "flow back" from a resistor.

Steve Greenfield AE7HD
CET Consumer Electronics and Computer
Please don't read your attitudes into my messages

Lacey, Washington, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

If you can have the smoke appear from the back of the monitor, so much the better. It could trigger from something as simple as a capacitive proximity detector or IR proximity detector under the desk.

Hmm... of course, a big problem with anything involving smoke is that they may be fooled a bit too well. Fire alarms may be pulled, or smoke detectors may be set off. Next thing you know, you are explaining to the boss why the fire dept. was called and the company has lost large amounts of money over a prank.

I like the idea of the mouse (or keyboard) intermittently vibrating or messing up. Does his computer have speakers? You could have very quiet voices randomly play over the speakers.

Steve Greenfield AE7HD

View Profile

Wire the Arduino to make the smoke detector go off whenever there is a certain noise frequency... maybe have it power the test button and bump it a second time once the smoke detector has been going off for a certain amount of time...

Houston, Texas, USA
View Profile

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/projects.html

As a prank, the Keyboard Redneckifier intercepts words as they're typed and turns them in to "redneck" before your eyes. Made in USB, PS/2, and "embedded" (photo 6-8) versions.

engineering is the art of planning and forethought
http://www.keywild.com

Lacey, Washington, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

I think anything involving setting off safety alarms is a tremendously bad idea.

How about a hypersonic sound device? It will only be audible when he's in the path of the beam, and the sound will appear to come from himself. Or from a surface in the path of the beam.

Steve Greenfield AE7HD

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: