Go Down

Topic: Getting a wav file onto an EEPROM (or into flash memory) (Read 833 times) previous topic - next topic

BulletMagnet83

I've been doing a bit of research/work on the drum machine project idea I had a while back, and I'm trying to wrap my head around how best to process a wav file in order to dump it either into flash memory or, as is more likely, onto an old-style parallel E(E)PROM. I don't have a programmer yet for said ROMs but I can go shopping for one next payday - in the interim I want to test the files from the flash memory of one of the ATmega328's I have knocking around. A single sample is about 18.7kb, so one will fit :)

The general idea for a rough-as-guts test bed is to simply shove all the data out in parallel on PORTD or something, through a DAC and see what I get (if anything) on the other end. I'd rather have some idea if it's going to work before going equipment shopping!

So far, I have:

Wave files processed in Audacity and exported as RAW(header-less), unsigned 8-bit, 32khz mono.
A HEX editor, specifically Frhed, which I have so far used for comparing the "normal" wav with the header-less one just for a look, and exporting the data as a hexdump text file.

What's the best way to get the compiler to take this data and shove it in flash memory as a great big array so I can read through it from my main program? I'm googling in another tab as I write this, but it's a bit hit-or-miss not knowing exactly the technical programming terms for some things.

johnwasser

If you can get it into a format with a character between 8-bit values (2 hex characters) you can change that character to ",0x" to make a list of hex constants.  A good text editor should allow you to do the whole hex dump in a few steps.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy