Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Uno + EthernetShield + Wifi AP combo not working  (Read 1133 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi!

Hardware:
Arduino Uno + official EthernetShield
TP-Link TL-WA500G WiFi AP working in Client mode (192.168.1.254), configuration tested with laptop, works OK
Linksys WRT54GL Wifi router (192.168.1.1)

Problem:
Arduino + direct connection to Linksys works flawlessly, either with static IP or DHCP.
Arduino connected with cable to TP-Link not getting DHCP settings from Linksys nor working with static IP.
Already tried with different gateway settings without luck.

Wifi connection between TP-Link and Linksys is tested and OK.
When replacing Arduino for testing purposes with laptop network works as expected.

Ideas?
Limitations in Arduino TCP/IP stack? Route problems or something?
What to test and how to test?

wbr,
Toomas

View Profile

You may want to post some code ;-)

View Profile

Hi!

I don't think it's software problem, because even Arduino own WebServer nor WebClient code does'nt work.

Arduino -> cable -> Linksys = OK
Arduino -> cable -> TP-Link -> ... Wifi ... -> Linksys = not working
laptop -> cable -> TP-Link -> ... Wifi ... -> Linksys = OK

Connection between TP-Link (client mode) and Linksys (AP) is OK, they see each other.

When I enabled 2nd DHCP server in TP-Link then Arduino got IP from there, ie physical link is OK.
To me it seems like some kind client side (Arduino) routing problem.

Wbr,
Toomas

Switzerland
Faraday Member
View Profile

My guess is a problem on the TP-Link side. To let it work it would have to transparently bridging the WiFi network to the client. What does client mode on the TP-Link mean? Is that bridging mode or routing mode (in both cases it's a client to the main network)? What IP does the laptop get if connected to the TP-Link? Does the Arduino get an IP per DHCP? Do you see packets from the Arduino on the WiFi network?

If you give the Arduino on the TP-Link a static IP, what values do you use for gateway?

View Profile

I have a similar configuration working flawlessly.

A Teensy++ with a WIZ812 Ethernet module connected to a TP-Link Tn-W703n pocket WiFi router
The Pocket router comes configured as an AP and connecting to it works out of the box.

Configured in client mode (I guess bridge mode is a better description) sending and reiving OSC commands to and from the Teensy++ through my AirPort Extreme Network Router (AP)  worked the first time.

For programming the Arduino IDE is used in conjunction with the Teensyduino plugin. And I am using the Arduino DHCP/Bonjour libraries and ArdOSC in conjunction with TouchOSC.

I would believe if your TP-Link is correctly configured for bridge/ client mode the DHCP client on the Arduino should receive it's configuration from the DHCP server on your Linksys AP and not from the TP-Link. Otherwise the TP-Link is not really working in bridge/client mode but as a router. You could get that to work too by adding an entry for it to the routing table of the TP-Link router.

If you got it to work with a Notebook instead of an Arduino, however, There could be some compatibility issue with the software on the Ardoino and the TP-Link. Perhaps you could try your luck with the mentioned DHCP/Bonjour library http://gkaindl.com/software/arduino-ethernet
IIRC you may have to chage ao few little things to get it to work with the Arduino IDE 1 but that's easy enough to do. One of the sample scripts is a little Web server.

View Profile

Hi!

Reconfigured both units. And with help from google found that TP-Link needs some extra settings (not mentioned in doc).
Everything then worked... But now after 2 days TP-Link is blind. Again.
Seems to me that TP-Link TL-WA500G is too unstable in client mode. Piece of garbage. Avoid as far as possible.

Arduino works fine. smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: