Go Down

Topic: Driving 14 or 16 segment LEDs (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Oracle

Is there a good way to drive 4 14-segment LED's?  I'm looking for something comparable to a MAX7219.  I'm aware of the option of using a couple of shift registers and a transistor for each digit, but would prefer a driver that takes care of all the multiplexing and current drive for me.  I've seen SMD chips that will handle 8-digits but I need through hole parts. 

Thanks

CrossRoads

Check maxim-ic.com.
They have 14-segment drivers, might need 1 per chip. Or maybe will have 1 that does 2 chips.
But really, using 2 shift registers and a ULN2003 or TPIC6B595  is not that hard.
Write a blink-without-delay piece of code: at the top of void loop, you check for 500uS, or 1-2 mS, passing, pull the next digit of data from an array and write it out and turn on the next cathode driver for common cathode displays , or anode driver such as UDN2981 if you have common anode displays.
The rest of the time your program does whatever it does.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Oracle

Thanks for your reply.  I did look at the data sheets for the MAX6654/6655 type chips, they seem quite a bit more complicated to use than the 7219 because they try to be so much more versatile; more LED arrangements, a built in port extender, etc.  I also don't think I can get them in through-hole which might be a problem for me.

Those chips also support 128 LED segments which is one reason for the complexity.  From your post, can you point me at any drivers that do 1 or 2 digits?  I only need 4 digits so that won't be so bad for me.

Using 2 shift registers, a transistor array, and resistors will up my component count a lot.  Programatically, I'd use a timer interrupt handler to do the multiplexing so I could have a set-and-forget interface which I find a lot cleaner than blink-without-delay, but that whole scheme seems so inelegant.  I'm just surprised it's such an easy thing to do with 7 segments but so hard with 14.

I thought the 14-segment display would be a pretty solution, but it's at the point where I'll probably just go with a character LCD.

Grumpy_Mike

Aug 03, 2012, 12:33 am Last Edit: Aug 03, 2012, 08:01 am by Grumpy_Mike Reason: 1
also don't think I can get them in through-hole

Yes you can, look at the data sheet for MAX6954. I have some myself.

CrossRoads

Did you look at MAX6954? Write to a register, it does all the multiplexing for you.
6954 is SPI interface, comes in a DIP. Be like using a MAX7219/7221.
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX6954.pdf
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy