Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Laser Harp Help?  (Read 2466 times)
Monterrey, N.L. México
Model Railroading & Arduino are Fun
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Reading your original post again, I see your point.

All lasers will be on (it's the Harp), and their corresponding photo sensors will be active so that as you block the laser beams with your fingers they will play their note. Am I correct?

WOW!, this is very nice and creative. Congrats!    smiley-cool

And when it works, you'll have to do a piano !!!     smiley-lol
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:26:39 am by bibre » Logged

Billy     http://www.z-world.com/operations/gbremer/

When you've eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains, however improbable, must be

View Profile

Alright guys, sorry for the long wait time. I'm back and ready to work on my harp again. As it turns out, Calc 2 in college takes up a lot more time than you would think. smiley-roll-blue
Anyways, I've been looking at the lasers themselves and they seem to have a resistor in front of the line that leads to the laser, meaning that it needs less power. But they *all* have the resistor (all 8 of my lasers). So here are my questions: How to I tell what kind of resistors they are? I have a multimeter - can I use that? Also: how do I calculate the energy the lasers will need? Is it something like...

Voltage needed by the individual lasers (so, if they each need 4.5 volts, I need one 4.5 volt wire)
with
the amps each laser needs * the number of lasers (8 lasers, 15 mA each, so 120 mA)
and
one resistor equal to the voltage of the resistor already in the lasers BUT equipped to handle 120mA

Is this correct, or am I missing something? Thanks for your patience and help all!

View Profile

And you are correct bibre! That's what I'm shooting for.
And thanks! I just found photoresistors and knew that I could make *something* cool. And I wanted it to involve lasers. So I came up with this!

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

one resistor equal to the voltage of the resistor already in the lasers BUT equipped to handle 120mA
No you don't.

Resistors are measured in ohms not volts. Each laser diode needs its own resistor, you can not combine them
Yes use a multi Meyer set on resistance to measure resistance. Do this only when the power is off.

Monterrey, N.L. México
Model Railroading & Arduino are Fun
View Profile

I'm glad you're back at your nice LaserHarp project.

Good luck!   smiley

Billy     http://www.z-world.com/operations/gbremer/

When you've eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains, however improbable, must be

View Profile

Ok, cool. So I need 4.5 volts at 120 mA with 8 *insert number after I test here* ohm resistors?

Also, why can't I use just one resistor? Wouldn't the voltage or amperage difference be the same after a larger resistor as 8 smaller ones?

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

No it would only be the same if your load was a linear one, like another resistor.  Your laser diode is like an LED, it is non linear, that is it does not obey Ohm's law. The resistor is to approximate a constant current device. If you put all the laser LEDs in parallel they would not shair, one would take more current and blow, then the next one and the next until they were all blown.

View Profile

Ok, so I checked the resistance and it came out as 0.00, so I'm beginning to doubt my "resistor theory". Does anyone know what the piece on top is? Right below the metal rectangle? Thank you!

* 20121015_180630.jpg (1585.56 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 22 times.)

View Profile

Ok, I lied. I set the multimeter to 200 instead of 20M and got a pretty steady 130. Does that mean I need a 130 resistor? (With the bands equaling to 13 * 10 to the power of 1?)

View Profile

So...brown orange brown for the resistor?

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

Right, resistor 13 x 10^1 =130
I used 91 OHm for red lasers, get 22 mA, little bit high for arduino, about 100 should be just fine

View Profile

So...if those resistors are already in place...Don't I just need 8 33ohm resistors for each of the lasers?

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

So...if those resistors are already in place...Don't I just need 8 33ohm resistors for each of the lasers?
Thought you said they were 130R?

View Profile

I believe so. When I used my multimeter on 200 for resistance, it showed a steady 130. Does that mean 130R? Or does it mean 130 ohms? or both?

View Profile

Oh, I see the confusion. The resistors in the lasers are 130. However, since they're built in, I just need to make sure that 4.5 volts with 15 mA gets to them! So, I can use the built in resistors and just use 8 33ohm resistors to limit the 5 volts from the arduino to each laser (along with each laser's built in resistor) so that each laser/resistor combo is getting 4.5 volts at 15 mA, which is what they'd be getting from the 3 batteries.
The "replacing the resistors already in the lasers" was adding an extra step I didn't need. I think I'm gonna get some friends together and finish this project this weekend. Any suggestions, criticisms, thoughts?
Thank you all for your help! If we get it done, I'll be sure to post pictures!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: