Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 16x2 LCD showing 2 rows of blocks  (Read 1625 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, this is yet another question about LCD displays. I have been searching all over and I do not quite get a problem similar to my problem. I did follow a lot of advice found here and elsewhere, but my problem keeps coming back.

Problem:
When the LCD is turned on and the sketch has to run, the LCD shows 2 full rows of blocks.

Equipment:
LCD - Displaytech 162D http://za.rs-online.com/web/p/products/532-6492/

Approach:
I first started out on a breadboard. And please note, then it did work correctly. I had it displaying "Hello World" and counting the seconds. This proves to me that I have made a mistake and I can not figure out what and where. I soldered a 7x2 header onto the LCD and used jumper Wires to connect to the breadboard and Arduino. Because I am building a replacement timer switch for a dishwasher that got discontinued, I started to build a custom board using vero board and a schematic from an arduino duemilanove where I stripped it down to a bare minimum setup. Basicly only the Atmega, a reset button, the 16K crystal, the caps for the crystal, and the power rails and an LED on pin 13, thats it. Then I connected the Header for the LCD according to the Ladyada tutorial for an LCD of that type with 2 rows of 7 pins. I then popped out the Atmega from the arduino and popped it into my custom board and gave it a kickstart, and no show. I did not even turn the POT when I removed it from the breadboard and soldered it to the vero board.

My Diagnostics:
* If I remove the Atmega and start the board without the micro-controller, I get the expected single row of blocks, showing that the logic has power and that contrast is set correctly.
* If I remove the LCD and program the Atmega with the "Blink hello world" the LED on pin 13 starts to blink on my custom board as expected, showing that there is a good chance I have the basics correct to start the Atmega on the custom board.
* I used another Atmega micro-controller with the same result.
* I used another LCD with the same result.
* I saw I was using a 1K pot and not a 10K pot, keep in mind the 1K pot gave perfect results on the breadboard. So I changed to a 10K pot with the same result.
* One website mentioned a similar result could be due to the micro-controller and the LCD being out of sync, and jamming the reset button a few times will get them back in sync. Tried that for about 5 min and still had the same result.
* Another website mentioned that some LCD's may take a few milliseconds too long to power up, and miss the LCD initialization from the micro-controller, adding a delay at the start of the sketch before the initialization will sort you out. Did that, made the LED blink a few times on and off before calling "lcd.begin(16, 2);". Still same effect.
* I noticed the L7805CV starts getting really blistering hot when you have the LCD and the Micro-controller plugged in and started. If you run only the LCD or Micro-controller the L7805CV remains very cool to touch. This means to me I have some kind of short circuit, which I don't see.

Below is a link to my own website, where I have documented my progress with pictures and code. It will be easier to just look there for info instead of reposting everything.
http://www.rjbsoft.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57:arduino-dishwasher-part-3&catid=38:hardware-projects&Itemid=82

I am sure I made a mistake on the custom board design somewhere. Please take a look and see if you see where I made my mistake. My board is built like the schematic. I tested my cables over and over and there is no short, no bridges where they should not be, and every cable is going exactly as on the schematic.

Thank you

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

* I saw I was using a 1K pot and not a 10K pot, keep in mind the 1K pot gave perfect results on the breadboard. So I changed to a 10K pot with the same result.
The 1K potentiometer will draw more current from the supply than a 10K pot (ten times as much) but as far as the LCD is concerned there is no difference.

* One website mentioned a similar result could be due to the micro-controller and the LCD being out of sync, and jamming the reset button a few times will get them back in sync. Tried that for about 5 min and still had the same result.
You could put your fingers in your ears and twirl around three times and have just as much effect on the LCD.

* Another website mentioned that some LCD's may take a few milliseconds too long to power up, and miss the LCD initialization from the micro-controller, adding a delay at the start of the sketch before the initialization will sort you out. Did that, made the LED blink a few times on and off before calling "lcd.begin(16, 2);". Still same effect.
The problem with 'slow' LCDs is real but in order to add a delay before the initialization you may have to actually modify the library.  This type of problem would result in a single row of blocks.

* I noticed the L7805CV starts getting really blistering hot when you have the LCD and the Micro-controller plugged in and started. If you run only the LCD or Micro-controller the L7805CV remains very cool to touch. This means to me I have some kind of short circuit, which I don't see.
This is obviously a problem, (but maybe not your only one).  

The fact that you are seeing two rows of blocks is also a clue.  Typically you will see two rows of blocks on a correctly operating LCD if you turn the contrast potentiometer all the way to one end, the end that puts 0 volts on pin 3.  What concerns me is that if there was a short here, one causing enough current for the voltage regulator to get hot, the regulator would shut down and you wouldn't see the blocks any more.  Anyway, I would start by investigating the contrast circuit.

My board is built like the schematic.
You need bypass / decoupling capacitors on the power connections to the microprocessor, as close to the chip as possible.

Don

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:21:02 am by floresta » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: