Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Ardunio C++ SUCKS!!!!  (Read 7601 times)
Georgina Ontario
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I happen to agree that it sucks -- but it's what we have Complaining is futile. Complain more any and you will never be assimilated. Then you'll be sorry!

Try this:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Search for similar.

Look for the Element 14 Web site if you want some more esoteric stuff.

Just another Hacker

Hesperia CA
View Profile

I do not aspire to become a crackerjack C or C++ programmer. I just want to make my little project work. I'll probably never do another one but I want my grandson to move this way so I have to kind of get up to speed so I don't tell him anything that is incorrect. I down loaded the C++ Tutorial suggested and I'll go through it. Today I'd be at a loss to tell him how to generate any program (sorry SKETCH) with certainty. I got mine to compile but that means nothing. I'm awaiting hardware to test it on.

I understand the limited resources inside the UNO and the need for a language that is not too verbose. And I appreciate this compiler might allow a gifted person to do marvelous things. It is the documentation that I had at hand that was so limiting and the totally different approach to programming (than Basic for example) that left me hanging. I could not find examples that were anywhere close to what I wanted to do. I could not even find an explanation of how to use custom functions (to make the equivalent of subroutines) and I did search the Internet for specific examples. Different examples did the same thing in different ways and apparently my added complexity did not allow the easier way. I just wanted the rules for what was required at a minimum and I could not find them in either of the books I had or in the Internet searches I did (I really didn't know exactly what to search for). Somehow complex custom functions (subroutines in old-speak) seem key and they were not covered...What is with that?

Anyway, I'm still of the opinion (and it may change after reading the tutorial) that some programmers have made the task of programming the UNO particularly complex because they can. In my dealings with programmers over many decades I have found this to be true. I have sat through many programming design reviews and left completetly lost, mostly because of the complexity and their need to invent their own words and language.

Thanks to those who did offer help. Regardless that I am so negative about this Arduino compiler, I do appreciate those that offered help. On to the tutorial...hope it helps!

LDBennett

California
Faraday Member
View Profile

Somehow complex custom functions (subroutines in old-speak) seem key and they were not covered...What is with that?
Instead of re-inventing the wheel with tutorials on common C/C++ features, why not leave that to the millions of articles already out there? It sounds like what you're trying to accomplish is very specific, in which case, I'm not sure why you would get mad about there not being an example of it already. That's the nature, of well, life. If that's not the case, try broadening your search to C/C++ examples instead of just Arduino examples.
Anyway, I'm still of the opinion (and it may change after reading the tutorial) that some programmers have made the task of programming the UNO particularly complex because they can.

It's obvious then, that you haven't looked at developing with standard AVR tools, PICs, or other microcontroller systems.

Dallas, Texas
God Member
Old, decrepit curmugeon
View Profile

Anyway, I'm still of the opinion (and it may change after reading the tutorial) that some programmers have made the task of programming the UNO particularly complex because they can. In my dealings with programmers over many decades I have found this to be true. I have sat through many programming design reviews and left completetly lost, mostly because of the complexity and their need to invent their own words and language.

Different professions make use of specialized vocabularies for a reason--precisely conveying the mean of complex or specialized ideas.  Talked with a doctor recently?  However, I reiterate my original point.  The Arduino has been used by thousands of artists, beginners, and children to implement a wide variety of projects.  People who are not programmers...  The Arduino environment is about as simple a programming environment as possible for a general purpose microcontroller, it doesn't require programming knowledge/experience.  It does require a willingness to learn.  If you want to actually learn, I would suggest starting with one of the books such as Massimo's...

Internet information is of unknown quality.  That combined with your stated desire to implement a specific project (which may not be within your capabilities) are likely the source of your frustration.  Learn the basics first.

New true random number library available at: http://code.google.com/p/avr-hardware-random-number-generation/

Current version 0.7.2

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Regardless that I am so negative about this Arduino compiler
It has already been noted that it is not "this Arduino" compiler, it is a bog-standard gcc compiler.
Please, get this one straight.

In my dealings with programmers over many decades I have found this to be true. I have sat through many programming design reviews and left completetly lost, mostly because of the complexity and their need to invent their own words and language.
I too hate jargon, but all disciplines have it for very good reasons. Should we call programs/sketches "knitting patterns" or "recipes", because, honestly, I cannot think of a closer analogy in everyday language or experience.

Believe me, I have programmed tens of different families of processors and architectures, and not one compares to the power or relative immediacy of the Arduino. You're bare-metal programming (unlike BASIC) using a single language (unlike assembler) on cheap hardware (unlike just about anything) using free tools. How much better can it get?

the totally different approach to programming (than Basic for example) that left me hanging
This I simply do not accept. Programming is setting out a process in a logical fashion, the language is largely irrelevant. It is as easy to write good code in BASIC as it is to write crap in C. It is the approach to programming, not the language, that is the difference.

I'm awaiting hardware to test it on.
And there, I would suggest, is the nub of your problem.

I learned to program in BASIC.
We wrote out our programs, typed them into a teletype and punched them to paper tape.
Then, we combined all the tape for the class onto a single tape, someone got on the bus to the local university, handed over the tape and went home.
Next day, someone else picked up the printouts and brought them back to school.

College wasn't much better, with maybe four batch runs a day if you got up early and worked late.

How long is a cycle on the Arduino?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:59:42 pm by AWOL » Logged

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

View Profile

just because its different than you're used to doesn't mean you can hate on it smiley arduino syntax is like C++, so, look at C++ tutorials to figure it out...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:56:43 pm by sirbow2 » Logged

http://dduino.blogspot.com all my Arduino/electronic projects!!!

{NEW} Getting Started, Learning, Reference + FAQ PDF!!:
[url]http://ar

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

arduino syntax is pretty much like C++,
NO!

It is C++ syntax.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:55:56 pm by AWOL » Logged

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

View Profile

geeez! sorry i wasnt precise enough. chill smiley-grin

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

sorry i wasnt precise enough
Pedantry may be a pejorative term in some spheres of experience, but is a positive boon in software.

View Profile

you could have just said that accuracy is more important in software...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:05:17 pm by sirbow2 » Logged

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

I did.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Don't take the bait.
Who is that directed at?   smiley-yell

Why isn't this whine/troll moved to the sport bar section? Where is the "project" in this posting?

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

Good point.
Consider it done.

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

I don't know any other system this easy.

New Hampshire
God Member
There are 10 kinds of people, those who know binary, and those who don't.
View Profile

You obviously have a pretty solid grasp of the English language with all it's varied words, grammar, structure, and numerous special cases.  So it seems to me the only real problem you're having with learning C++ (which is many many times simpler than ANY human language), is your attitude.

I don't mean to be rude, but honestly, all I get out of this thread is basically, "I don't want to learn C++, and I'm just here to bitch about it."

Simple fact is, C++ is only hard to learn if you are determined not to learn it.

You did mention that you've been unable to get any examples you found to work for you.  Here's a recommendation:  Pick one of those examples, and start a thread here (In the Programming forum) with the code and problems you're having trying to get it to work.  Do that, and you'll get plenty of help with the problem.  This thread here though, pretty much pointless.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Jump to: