Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: RGB LED help? == noob  (Read 547 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So, I am currently building a RGB LED cube 4x4x4 with rainbowduino. I have yet to even look at the code for this project, but I am currently beginning to build the cube.

I don't have a LED tester or anything, and not to sure of another way of testing my LED's to see if they are in working condition before I begin to solder.

I have a arduino uno and enough parts to be able to quickly set up the light on a breadboard and check if it working while RGB is all on, and also individual colour (Red, Green, Blue). I am curious as to how exactly the code would look like for this?

(I am fully open to better suggestions as to how I could test my LED's as my subject reads I am quite new to this)

Thanks for the help!

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

dont really need code to test LED's just use some resistors (470ohm-ish) and the 5 volt output of the arduino

also most multimeters in continuity mode will provide enough current to dimly light up most LED's

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

You would probably be wise to start with the "blink" example, and work up from there. ( as most of us newbies have )

Its easier to spot a typing error in the simpler sketches.

You can connect a LED ( through 270 ohm resistor) from any output pin to ground for testing.

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

View Profile

Ha.., embarrassing! Thanks, a lot both of you. smiley-grin

Arduino rocks
View Profile

If you plug them in a breadboard and put the cathode to ground on the arduino and put a wire in the 3.3Volt arduino outlet. Touch the wire which is now positive to each anode of the rgb just quickly  . No resistor needed as the output is very low

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

I have a arduino uno and enough parts to be able to quickly set up the light on a breadboard and check if it working while RGB is all on, and also individual colour (Red, Green, Blue). I am curious as to how exactly the code would look like for this?

Why do you need "code"? Use a piece of wire and a resistor. Touch the legs on the LED with the wire.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Eugene, Oregon
View Profile

A battery and resistor are the easiest way to test the LEDs. It looks like that kit doesnt come with any resistors, but does include a constant current LED driver, so you may want to hook up 8 LEDs, edit the code to only control 8, then try it out (you may have to try many things before you figure out how to get 8 to run properly. After you have that setup, you can swap out the 8 RGB LEDs and test the new ones.

Alternatively, you could get some inexpensive shift registers, and run shiftpwm to test out 8 LEDs at a time.

Goofing around like this will delay your project, but your chances of learning things is much greater than if you simply follow directions.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: