Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Reading multiple chars, converting string to int (Serials)  (Read 359 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey!
I'm trying to controll my stepper motor without using a library.
I want to control it via serial. I need three variables - direction (left, right), number of steps and speed.
OK.
Here's my problem - I would like to tell all this to arduino via serial. For example write in Serial Monitor: right, 100, 100   and watch my stepper moving.
It can also be: right [enter] 100 [enter] 100 [enter].
I have few problems here - how can I read multiple chars from serial? When i noramlly type '100', arduino treats it as 1, 0, 0. Second thing - even if I sucseed to read the data into an array, I still do not know how to use it later. I have no idea how to convert an array or string to integer, which i need :/.

Thank You for any help and please, forgive me all language mistakes, as I'm not an english speaker.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

I'm trying to controll my stepper motor without using a library.
Why?

I want to control it via serial. I need three variables - direction (left, right), number of steps and speed.
Same inputs you'd need if you used the Stepper library.

Here's my problem - I would like to tell all this to arduino via serial. For example write in Serial Monitor: right, 100, 100   and watch my stepper moving.
Right is not a direction a stepper motor could understand. In case you haven't noticed, stepper motors rotate. Clockwise and counterclockwise are the only directions they understand.

I have few problems here - how can I read multiple chars from serial? When i noramlly type '100', arduino treats it as 1, 0, 0.
Yes. It is up to you to store them in an array until the end of packet marker (comma, enter, whatever) arrives, then deal with the string you have stored. If the string represents a single number, atoi() will convert it to an int for you.

Second thing - even if I sucseed to read the data into an array, I still do not know how to use it later. I have no idea how to convert an array or string to integer, which i need :/.
Well, now you do.

Dallas, Texas
God Member
Old, decrepit curmugeon
View Profile

Right is not a direction a stepper motor could understand. In case you haven't noticed, stepper motors rotate. Clockwise and counterclockwise are the only directions they understand.

While I agree with you, there are a number of folks who use left and right, even for rotation.  One phrase that comes to mind; "Lefty loosy, righty tighty..."  It never made much sense to me, but it does to some.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:24:49 pm by wanderson » Logged

New true random number library available at: http://code.google.com/p/avr-hardware-random-number-generation/

Current version 0.7.2

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Surely that's 'righty tighty'

Dallas, Texas
God Member
Old, decrepit curmugeon
View Profile

Surely that's 'righty tighty'
Yep..  R.. T.. there right next to each other on the keyboard! smiley

New true random number library available at: http://code.google.com/p/avr-hardware-random-number-generation/

Current version 0.7.2

View Profile

Why?
I'm learning the code. For the sake of practice.

Oh, thanks for info. As I said - I'm not perfect english-speaker, but I'm sure You understood what i meant by "left".

Yes. It is up to you to store them in an array until the end of packet marker (comma, enter, whatever) arrives, then deal with the string you have stored. If the string represents a single number, atoi() will convert it to an int for you.
Do i store them in array by Serial.readBytesUntil()?

Well, now you do.
Well, thank You for that.

New Hampshire
God Member
There are 10 kinds of people, those who know binary, and those who don't.
View Profile

Do i store them in array by Serial.readBytesUntil()?

Questions on how to handle Serial comms come up on a daily basis, often multiple times a day.  Should be pretty easy to search out and read those threads.  Most of them are on the very topic of reading  in data and parsing it into ints, floats, strings, etc.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Questions on how to handle Serial comms come up on a daily basis,
So often, in fact, that someone (not mentioning any names) put together a blog on the topic:
http://jhaskellsblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/serial-comm-fundamentals-on-arduino.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: