Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: nRF24L01 on minimum Mega328 breadboard; will it work?  (Read 1064 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Does anyone know if the nRF24L01 transceiver will work with the minimum breadboard configuration for the Mega328?  I'm running two breadboarded Mega328's with internal 8Mhz clocks but I noticed the nRF24L01's are running 16Mhz clocks...  having a heck of a time getting Maniabug's led_remote tutorial to run, so I'm wondering if it's the clock frequencies.  Do I need to use external 16Mhz crystals on the Mega's?

JOPIN STUDIOS | Trusted Web Design since 1998 | www.jopin.com

View Profile

Does anyone know if the nRF24L01 transceiver will work with the minimum breadboard configuration for the Mega328?  I'm running two breadboarded Mega328's with internal 8Mhz clocks but I noticed the nRF24L01's are running 16Mhz clocks...  having a heck of a time getting Maniabug's led_remote tutorial to run, so I'm wondering if it's the clock frequencies.  Do I need to use external 16Mhz crystals on the Mega's?

Can't answer that really - but since the NRF24L01 has its own timing so it should not matter what the ATMega328 is running at.

I put mine on a simple board with ATMega328 and it was runnning a 16Mhz Crystal and it worked with the board.

I did notice that the aerial's had to face each other. If they faced Up then they did not really communicate very well at all.

So if you haven't try that - ie line of sight!

Chris

View Profile

I have a network of 8mhz homebrews taking over nrf2.4 radios. However, I am using a external 8mhz crystal. I do remember trying and having success with the internal clock too. Post your code and I'll try it on my end

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

The nRF module's xtal is used to drive the RF circuitry (PLL local oscillator), not the digital interface which is SPI.  For SPI you  just check what the datasheet says about maximum SPI clock rate.

You need to interface to the 4 SPI pins and CE and IRQ IIRC.

Note the module must be powered with 3.3V, NOT 5V.  It does have 5V tolerant inputs according to the datasheet though.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: