Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Super cheap Arduino shield  (Read 841 times)
England
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

This is an inexpensive shield for an Arduino. It is made from strip board and discarded leads from LEDs and resistors. I drilled extra holes for the pins that are not aligned with the 1/10" grid. The leads were bent into a j shape, inserted into the board then bent over into a p shape and soldered. I have used few at the analogue side, just one at each end and 5 volts. If you have no convenient source of parts, you might live in a rain forest or on the space station, this might be worth doing.
I found the pins to be unreliable, they sometimes do not all make contact. Also it is difficult to attach to the Arduino. It is working now. A set of wire wrap sockets would have been more convenient, and I wish I had used them.
The circuit has 9 LEDs on the digital I/O pins and a button on a interrupt pin.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:20:52 am by zathras » Logged

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

It could make cheaper if you replace the push button with just 2 wires that make contact.

Dubai, UAE
Edison Member
View Profile

I tried to make a shield in a similar manner once. I quickly came to the conclusion that shields are a dead end, I find it much easier to use stripboard with ribbon cable that way I can have whatever shape and size I want for my circuit and still easily plug it into an Arduino.

Have you tried build a stripboard Arduino yet ? Its very addictive, Its hard to beat the first time you take a scrap of components and turn them into something you can program from your computer or in my case drive -

http://rcarduino.blogspot.com/2012/07/rcarduino-yaw-control-part-2.html

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You guys are very passionate and/or have a lot of time on your hands smiley

Dubai, UAE
Edison Member
View Profile

I live in Dubai, its 47 degrees during the day and my wife and kids have escaped the heat to Europe, its also Ramadan, so it I do go outside in the heat I can't take a bottle or water so yes, lots of time for the moment.

Duane B

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

That is Great work, Really great, I'm impressed. There are 3 accessories I use the First is an 830 point bread board (the one with the red and blue power supply rails). The Second is a shield and a cable (old disk drive cable) and a header that plugs into the bread board and the Tird is a power supply that plugs into the bread board and I do Not connect the Vcc points, only the ground is common and the PSU can put 3V3 on one rail and 5V on the other. I also add 0805 22 uf ceramic caps to the rails as well as .1 uF caps. Then I just hope that it will perform as intended...

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

There are 3 accessories I use the First is an 830 point bread board (the one with the red and blue power supply rails). The Second is a shield and a cable (old disk drive cable) and a header that plugs into the bread board and the Tird is a power supply that plugs into the bread board and I do Not connect the Vcc points, only the ground is common and the PSU can put 3V3 on one rail and 5V on the other. I also add 0805 22 uf ceramic caps to the rails as well as .1 uF caps. Then I just hope that it will perform as intended...
It would be nice to provide a photo ("worth a thousand words", as they say).

uk
View Profile

looks great, why dont you take the next step learn to lay out a pcb using cad, and make a home made pcb

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

If cost is an issue, the below might be of interest. If one lives in a remote jungle, then other factors will probably interfere with even a regular arduino.

http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/rbbb-kit

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

florinc
I will Provide a "Photo" of My "Little Bread-board later today.... gotta find the camera... My phone camera is Very Poor But...Pics are included...

Doc

* Bare_Board.jpg (429.01 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 11 times.)

* GPS_Clock.jpg (381.1 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 10 times.)

* Baro_Uno.jpg (396.82 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 6 times.)

* PUS_Meter.jpg (335.83 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 7 times.)

--> WA7EMS <--

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I live in Dubai, its 47 degrees during the day and my wife and kids have escaped the heat to Europe, its also Ramadan, so it I do go outside in the heat I can't take a bottle or water so yes, lots of time for the moment.

Duane B

I am guessing you don't have to wait long for the soldering iron to heat up!  That's about the max temperature the inside of my car reaches in the sun during a UK heatwave...

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

If cost is an issue, the below might be of interest. If one lives in a remote jungle, then other factors will probably interfere with even a regular arduino.

http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/rbbb-kit
Here is one cheaper... $9.50

http://www.electrodragon.com/?product=arduino-pro-mini-328-5v16mhz

I like to use stackable headers on my projects and I buy the Pro mini's because they are smaller than a standard 28 pin dip... Same size as a basic stamp with 10 extra useful pins
And here is a picture on one of the breadboards W/ Uno cable connector and a plugin PSU with 3V3 or 5V on either rail or both rails... takes a USB connector (for power only) or a
2.1 mm barrel connector for an external PSU (Wall Wart) Liudr sells the cab;e/shield/breadboard header... From Either Dipmicro or Inmojo for $18.95... The PSU is $2.89 from Ebay
{Edit} The little board to the left of the Pro Mini is an USB to ttl converter also purchased from Electrodragon... I use it for a lot of different things besides the Pro Mini's.

Doc

* Pro_Mini.jpg (421.75 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 9 times.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:51:50 pm by Docedison » Logged

--> WA7EMS <--

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: