Go Down

Topic: Help reading PWM on analog input (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

PeterH

Haven't checked with a meter but if I plug the + side of the HDD LED header from the motherboard into the breadboard then hook an LED from it to ground the LED is always on, it never goes out. If I hook an LED to 3v then ground it to the - side of the HDD LED header it works as intended.

This is exactly what you're been advised to do. The way your HDD LED is wired up, the +ve wire is always +ve and the -ve wire is switched. When the LED os 'off' the -ve wire is isolated which means it will float up to the voltage supplied on the +ve wire. When the LED is 'on' the -ve wire is pulled down to ground which causes a voltage difference across the LED so it glows.

You need to connect the LEDs -ve wire to the Arduino. Once problem you'll have is that if it is a plain old LED (without an integrated series resister) then the voltage across it will be very low, probably not enough to trigger a digital input. In that case you'll need to connect it to an analog input and compare the measured voltage with a threshold to decide whether the LED is on or off.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy