Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Passing arrays to classes  (Read 685 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello forum, I have what I think is a simple question that is causing me unexpectedly large headaches.

I want to pass an array to a class. In my naive mind, an array is passed by passing (by value) a pointer to its first element. So, the idea goes, the elements of an array declared in a different scope, will be accessible to the methods of the class. The code below explodes:

class classy {

public:

int a1d[];                      // this should end up pointing to the array myArray in setup()

classy(int passedArray[]) {
    a1d = passedArray;            // this is the line that blows up

}

};

void setup() {

int myArray[5] = { 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 };

classy c = classy(myArray);

}

void loop() {}

So, I need to make it so that a method in classy referring to, say, a1d[2] will access myArray[2].

However, I get the following error:

sketch_aug05c.cpp: In constructor ‘classy::classy(int*)’:
sketch_aug05c:7: error: incompatible types in assignment of ‘int*’ to ‘int [ 0 ]’

So, if I got that right, passedArray[] is considered an integer pointer (‘int*’, which is what I think a reference to an array is. Note that the constructor is referred to as ‘classy::classy(int*)’ whereas I have declared it as ‘classy(int passedArray[]’), which  I guess amounts to the same thing) but a1d is considered the contents of the first element of an integer array (‘int [ 0 ]’)? Both are referred to in exactly the same way in the offending line. Am I going crazy or is the compiler linguistically challenged?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:53:01 pm by ardudillo » Logged

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

passedArray is a pointer to an array in memory (an "int *").  a1d is an empty array - a similar concept but not quite the same.

Define a1d as "int *a1d;" instead of "int a1d[];" and you can assign it the address of the incoming array.

NOTE

This does NOT copy the contents of the array - it merely points a1d at the same memory as passedArray.  To copy the actual array you will have to manually copy either each entry in the array to a pre-created array of a large enough size, or duplicate the memory, which may lead to memory fragmentation and/or memory leaks.

Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

Arduino rocks
View Profile

This is great, thank you.

I certainly don't want the array copied, I just want the object to have the address of the original array so it can access its elements.

One thing I 'd like to add for any poor guys struggling with similar. When stepping this up to 2D arrays, it gets slightly tricky due to operator precedence of * and []. The way to do it is this:

class classy {

public:

int (*a1d)[5];                      // mind the ()

classy(int passedArray[][5]) {
    a1d = passedArray;

Serial.print("CONSTRUCTOR:\nElement at [1][3] of passed array is ");
    Serial.println(a1d[1][3]);
    Serial.println("Now setting it to -1\n--------------");
    a1d[1][3] = -1;
  }

};

void setup() {

Serial.begin(57600);

int myArray[][5] = {{ 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 }, { 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 }};

classy c = classy(myArray);

Serial.print("SETUP():\nElement at [1][3] of original array is ");
  Serial.println(myArray
  [1][3]);

}

void loop() {}

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Code:
    a1d = passedArray;
a1d is now an array of pointers. passedArray is now a 2D array. What is this code supposed to be doing?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

It's trying to make "a1d" refer to the same thing in "classy" as "myArray" refers to in setup() so that a1d[m][n] in "classy" will fetch me the same result (by reading the same address) as myArray[m][n] would in setup().

In the grander scheme of things, when this class grows up, it will be used to play tunes on a speaker. The object is pointed towards an array of notes and durations and handles the rest.

So far it's working with no obvious bugs but if you see any problems I 'd be grateful if you 'd point them out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: