Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Saw this on youtube, could it be done with multiple arduinos?  (Read 956 times)
Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

I saw this on youtube today and I thought it was awesome. 
I used to want to be some sort of sound engineer but loved computers too much so I figured I would try to design something like this with the computer engineering degree i'm working on. 

Since I saw the video, i've been trying to figure out a way that it would work with arduinos.  At this point, I think it would need some sort of parallel processing or an FPGA sort of deal but I just want to make sure before I give up on the whole concept.

Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Yes you could do that. It's a little out of my field but there are essentially two parts, read a keyboard and produce sounds.

The first can be done in many ways and I think the second would be best done by sending MIDI commands to an existing instrument.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

View Profile

You can do this pretty easily with an arduino Uno. As far as I know you can do this with any arduino. Pretty easily.
https://sites.google.com/site/bharatbhushankonka/home/diy-midi-over-usb-using-arduino-uno

This guy uses a serial to midi application so he doesn't have to reprogram the usb device in the Uno to be a HID MIDI device. You can do that also. You can have analog inputs as well. I.E. scratchpads. Not just buttons.  smiley-cool

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

Interesting! I thought that the microcontroller wouldn't be handle all of the things happening at once.  Seeing as how microcontrollers execute programming statement by statement, I figured that wouldn't be fit for all those things happening at once. 

Anybody else have some awesome resources that would be helpful?

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

nothing in a computer is really happening at once, its just happening stupid fast, arduino clocks in at 16,000,000 times a second, many simple operations taking once cycle, if you are mindful about how you do it it should handle that

here is the oppsite side of the coin, microcontroller god LFT is using generic midi keyboards connected to a AVR board that actually produces all the sound, loops and mixes

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:35:15 am by Osgeld » Logged

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Anybody else have some awesome resources that would be helpful?
Check out this project:
http://monome.org/

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

Ah, I've seen the monome many times before.

I've started conceptualizing my own version and I'm curious how I would output the sounds?  Would I just store the mp3's in an EEPROM or Flash memory and then if this button is on, retrieve the associated music file from the memory and shoot it out?  What kind of IC would be able to handle being sent so many music files and still be able to output them. Would it just mash em together?

View Profile

Ah, I've seen the monome many times before.

I've started conceptualizing my own version and I'm curious how I would output the sounds?  Would I just store the mp3's in an EEPROM or Flash memory and then if this button is on, retrieve the associated music file from the memory and shoot it out?  What kind of IC would be able to handle being sent so many music files and still be able to output them. Would it just mash em together?

Howdie,
When you press a specific button you want to send a specific midi value to the computer, and you will have a software that will (Ableton works great) recieve these values and from there you decide what kind of sound you want to produce.

To send over the midi values to the computer, you want to use a usb-midi cable which is connected to the computer and a DIN contact (the DIN is connected to the arduino somehow).
OR you could use a software that converts the values, and all you need is a USB connected to the arduino itself and the computer (LINK HERE: http://spikenzielabs.com/SpikenzieLabs/Serial_MIDI.html).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:53:58 am by freak174 » Logged

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

Ohhh so this launchpad isn't a standalone product.  You need to have it connected to a computer for it to work?  That makes so much more sense.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: