Go Down

Topic: ATtiny44/84 built in temperature sensor (Read 514 times) previous topic - next topic

traisjames

I noticed on a datasheet that ATtiny44 and ATtiny84 have built in temperature sensors.  Is there a way to access the value of the chip's temperature?  I know its not good for ambient air temperature but curiousity runs wild with me.

Jack Christensen

Sure, the datasheet describes it. I fiddled with it once on an ATmega328P but didn't really spend enough time with it to even know if I had it working right.

Jack Christensen

Here is a sketch that seems to work with an ATmega328P-MU. I get around 365mV, which would be about 75°C according to the example in the datasheet. Room temp is currently around 26°C, so that seems a bit high, but it's not a precise thing. Can the internal chip temp be that hot? The package certainly isn't that hot. It does respond fairly quickly (increases) when I put my finger on it. So maybe it's just not well-calibrated.

I thought maybe this could be coded just with standard Arduino function calls, but I don't think so; I ended up manipulating the registers directly. Something similar should work with the ATtinies, but the register definitions are not identical, so be sure to review them.

Code: [Select]
#include <Streaming.h>    //http://arduiniana.org/libraries/streaming/

void setup(void)
{
    Serial.begin(115200);
}

void loop(void)
{
    float v;

ADMUX = 0xC8;                 //channel 8
    ADCSRA = 0xC7;                //start the conversion
    while (ADCSRA & _BV(ADSC));   //wait for it to complete
    v = 1.1 * ADC / 1024.;
    Serial << _FLOAT(v, 3) << endl;
    delay(1000);
}

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy