Go Down

Topic: Leonardo interrupt question (Read 557 times) previous topic - next topic

wimpie3

Jan 31, 2016, 03:48 pm Last Edit: Jan 31, 2016, 03:54 pm by wimpie3
Getting frustrated here, some help is needed.

I want to detect a pin change using an interrupt. The Leonardo seems to have five pins that can detect changes: 0, 1, 2, 3 and 7.

Now here is the problem. I cannot use 0 & 1 because I need these ports for Serial communication.

Ports 2 & 3 are working, AS LONG as I'm not using SDA & SCL. As soon as I do that, so WHILE I'm sending data over SDA & SDL, the interrupt gets fired (even if there is no pin change).

I've read somewhere that you cannot use ports 2 & 3 together with SDA & SCL. This leaves only one pin for my interrupt: 7. However,
Code: [Select]
attachInterrupt(digitalPinToInterrupt(7), myInterruptHandler, FALLING);is not working at all. The interrupt is never fired.

Google told me pin 7 is not available for attachInterrupt and that I should use an ISR routine, which fires an interrupt if there is a pin change on a BLOCK of pins. Can someone tell me if this is correct?

PaulS

The digitalPintToInterrupt() function determine which external interrupt pin to attach the handler to. Pin 7 is not an external interrupt pin.

There is a library for pin change interrupts. You should be using that library, which provides a convenient method to determine which pin changed.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

wimpie3

Would doing this work?
  EICRB |= (0<<ISC60)|(1<<ISC61); // interrupt type = falling
  EIMSK |= (1<<INT6); // activates the interrupt
ISR(INT6_vect) {
  // interrupt routine
}

Whandall

Pin 7 is an external interrupt pin on the Leonardo, no need for pinchange interrupts.

External Interrupts: 3 (interrupt 0), 2 (interrupt 1), 0 (interrupt 2), 1 (interrupt 3) and 7 (interrupt 4).
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardLeonardo

So your first try should basically work.
attachInterrupt(digitalPinToInterrupt(7), myInterruptHandler, FALLING);
The above would make a good setting for closing to GND and INPUT_PULLUP.

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. (D.Adams)

wimpie3

Jan 31, 2016, 04:51 pm Last Edit: Jan 31, 2016, 04:56 pm by wimpie3
That's exactly what I thought, but it only works on pins 2 and 3, not on 7.

Whandall

I have a NRF24L01 driving the external interrupt pin 7 of a Leonardo working right before my eyes.  ;)
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. (D.Adams)

wimpie3

I guess I'll have to disable all my libraries one by one to see if any of them blocks the interrupt on D7...

Whandall

I would check the interrupt first.

Can you read the pin? Is the value as expected (while operating the device on pin 7)?

I bet the interrupt fires on CHANGE if there is a change.

No connection / broken wires / faulty wiring ... double-, triple-check and verify!

Go Up