Go Down

Topic: Github basics? (Read 259 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

I am experimenting with github for my open source PCB designs. I figured I should ask some basic questions about github:

1. If I post a repository on github, and have git GUI running on my PC, then all I have to do is to run the git GUI once in a while to keep my online repository up to date, right?
2. How do I control versions? I am used to naming files with version numbers. This way I get a lot of files in my repository, which is confusing to someone that wants to download it. If I only keep one file, without version number, I am afraid that I will eventually make a mistake and have no previous file to go back to. Is this concern invalid? Can I roll back files or have a history of files using my git GUI?
3. About repositories from others such as sparkfun, should I just "clone to desktop" using my git GUI instead of downloading zip files, which the prior can stay up to date if I run git GUI often? What happens if I want to keep different versions of the same repository, say for comparison purposes?

Thank you!

Coding Badly

May 05, 2015, 03:15 am Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 03:18 am by Coding Badly
1. If I post a repository on github, and have git GUI running on my PC, then all I have to do is to run the git GUI once in a while to keep my online repository up to date, right?
Correct.  You "commit" to save changes to a local repository.  You "push" to merge those changes with the repository on Github.

2. How do I control versions?
"Versions" in the sense that you and I would consider something to be a version are usually controlled with "tags".

Can I roll back files or have a history of files using my git GUI?
Yes.  However, you can do significantly more than just "roll back".  Git allows you to branch a repository at any point creating a parallel development path.  That branch can later be merged with other branches.

Reading about "git workflow" should help bring some clarity...
https://www.google.com/search?q=git+workflow

3. About repositories from others such as sparkfun, should I just "clone to desktop" using my git GUI instead of downloading zip files, which the prior can stay up to date if I run git GUI often?
I often do.  "Staying up to do date" is called a "pull / merge" in Git lingo.

What happens if I want to keep different versions of the same repository, say for comparison purposes?
Don't keep different versions of a repository; there is no need.  The entire commit history is a repository.  You can easily compare any commit / tag / branch to any other commit / tag / branch.

robtillaart

This site has great tutorials and tools - https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

ron_sutherland

Much of what can be done with git is similar to Mercurial (Hg). But, I have been using Mercurial for some time so have developed a bias for it.

To start a repo "hg init" in the location, and it is the same with "git init". The GitHub application allows creating a repo and so does the TortoiseHg application. Once the repo is created files are added to it and then committed, both hg and git are similar about this.

Some things I do with Mercurial that I have no clue how to do with git. Hg has a concept of named paths in its hgrc file (all repos have it under /.hg/hgrc ). On Windows, TortoiseHg has a global setting to push after a commit to one of the named paths, which I set to push to a local 2nd hard drive (and that saved my bacon last week). There is also a changegroup hook* that I use to automagicly update my web files when I push to the repo on my web server.

*http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Hook

I am looking at GitHub also, but for software/firmware packages that don't fit well in my Mercurial framework.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy