Go Down

Topic: Arduino instead of FTDI breakout (Read 165 times) previous topic - next topic

Oct 16, 2016, 04:55 pm Last Edit: Oct 16, 2016, 05:02 pm by dhmhtrhsv
Hi everybody!
I am a begginer so my question might have a really simple answer, but I was unable to find any help on this no matter how much time I spent searching on the web.
I was wandering if it is possible to program my esp8266 through my arduino, instead of using another usb-to-serial adaptor like the ftdi breakout board ft232rl.
Some people said that it's ok to do so, some others said that the output current of the arduino is not even close to the current demands of esp8266, some others said that the problem is just that the digital outputs of the arduino have a logical value of 5V and the esp8266 has 3.3V.
I just ordered my ft232, but it will take a month to deliver. Is there a clear explenation of why I shouldn't (or should) use my arduino to program the esp8266 for now?
ps I have arduino uno and nano

ESP8266 Logic Level = 3.3V
Arduino Logic Level (Normally) = 5V

You would need a Logic level converter, and remove your ATMEGA328 chip, but it can be done.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design & Assembly work undertaken - Arduino repairs & testing - PM for details.

Because it's the ATMEGA328 chip that limits the current?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131