Go Down

Topic: RTC acting strange (Read 4150 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

Maybe it is time to go get yourself a radioshack perf board and solder the parts together to make sure there's no problem with the connections. I have had some problems with RTCs but nothing other than weak connections and breadboards.

megamax42

Ahh you very well may be on to something here, as I'm using a very cheap made-in-china breadboard. Will report back once I've got it soldered.

liudr

Ahh you very well may be on to something here, as I'm using a very cheap made-in-china breadboard. Will report back once I've got it soldered.

Breadboards are always the source of some problems. The clips in the board that hold wires have capacitance and could couple to other wires. So once you finish breadboarding, move to a perf solder board.

megamax42

Oct 18, 2012, 05:58 pm Last Edit: Oct 18, 2012, 06:02 pm by megamax42 Reason: 1
Got a tiny PCB from radioshack yesterday and got everything soldered up. It finally works! Well, almost.
But I'm so happy I could cry, this has been driving me nuts. Even though it's my fault for buying such a cheap breadboard, you can guarantee the company I bought it from is going to get a very descriptive letter on where they can shove their breadboards.

The only issue I'm running into now, and it may not even be an issue, is the LED on the breadboard. Something I've noticed after I upload the program is the little orange LED labeled 'TX' glows a solid orange, but when I open the serial monitor the LED blinks with each second, is this just the Arduino telling me it's interfacing with a computer, or is it more indicative of a running program?

Edit: Nevermind, just read the Arduino tutorial on RX and TX, thanks again for your help everybody! You've all been fantastic, I really can't thank you enough.

liudr

Got a tiny PCB from radioshack yesterday and got everything soldered up. It finally works!

Could have bought my shields or board and save all that trouble.  $)

megamax42

Lol I should've! Are you talking about the Phi-Connect shield and Phi-Connect breakout boards?
The Phi-2 looks like a cool shield, I would've definitely gone that route if the TFT LCD displays weren't as cheap.

liudr

I've got a few different shields and hardware :)
The problem of having TFT displays with arduino is that you have this nice display but not enough memory to make good use of it. Plus, your arduino will have to store all the font used on the display. That's a lot of memory, around 600B-1KB. Arduino only has 2KB, so unless you only want to use that display and not many other stuff for a project (I don't know what that project might be), you will be running out of memory all the time. Similar thing with SD cards. The SD card library takes about 1.1-1.3KB memory. You have to find ways to save SRAM before it runs out. In that case, I'd use my own phi-panel serial LCD keypad panels. Everything is taken care of by the panel controller and your Arduino needs neither LCD library nor keypad library.

megamax42

Well the RTC module has been working quite well for some time now, I've only encountered one issue: Daylight savings time. I figured I could just recompile the program on my computer and count on it working like it has in the past, grabbing the time off my computer, which does account for daylight savings time. Unfortunately though, the serial monitor displays the time an hour ahead when I try to re-upload the program.

My solution in the meantime is to change the times for 'sunrise' (dim on) and 'sunset' (dim off) accordingly, which I suppose works, however I was wondering if there was an easier way of doing this?

liudr

Have an interactive interface with lcd and buttons so you can change time without recompiling code. I have an alarm code you can use as reference though.

Go Up