Go Down

Topic: ESC power supply (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

RobertEagle

Aug 09, 2012, 09:54 pm Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012, 09:58 pm by RobertEagle Reason: 1
Hello,

I want to connect an ESC brushless controller to an Arduino platform and then to the motor. I know that an ESC brushless controller does have 2 pins for the incoming supply for the motor, other 3 that goes to the motor and other 3 for the Arduino's signal.

The questions are:
1.Along the signal pin from the Arduino, there are those other 2 pins for supplying. What should I do with them? Connect them to the Arduino? Leave them alone?
2.What should be the voltage for the signal pin coming from Arduino? (I have a 3S battery for the motors, and a 2S battery for the platform)

Thank you,
RobertEagle

beige

battery -> ESC -> motor

and connect the gnd and signal on the servo lead to the arduino, a high of anything between 2.7v and 6v should work just fine.
remember if it's an aero ESC 1ms is stop and 2ms is full on, if it's a car esc 1.5ms is stop, 1ms is reverse and 2ms is forward.

If the ESC has a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) and is 5v you could run the arduino directly off it, but most these days are 6v, so best to source the supply from a separate switch mode or linear supply.

RobertEagle

Aug 09, 2012, 10:10 pm Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012, 10:13 pm by RobertEagle Reason: 1
Get it regarding the pins.

The ESC is a Roxxy BL Control 710: http://www.robbe.de/roxxy-blcontrol-710.html and here's a picture regarding the ESC info:

This means that I can connect it at 5V?

PS: There were some topics saying that the number of cells of the battery dictates the signal voltage. (for each cell/1.2v) Is that true?

beige

Would suggest so, best to double check with a meter though.

retrolefty

Get it regarding the pins.

The ESC is a Roxxy BL Control 710: http://www.robbe.de/roxxy-blcontrol-710.html and here's a picture regarding the ESC info:

This means that I can connect it at 5V?

???, It means you can use the ESC's BEC +5vdc wire to power the arduino via it's 5V pin (and ground pin), regardless of what the battery voltage you are using. A BEC is basically a built in +5vdc voltage regulator.

PS: There were some topics saying that the number of cells of the battery dictates the signal voltage. (for each cell/1.2v) Is that true?

No, the ESC's PPM control signal input will be a logic level PPM digital control input signal, normally using the same logic level voltage that the arduino outputs, 0-+5vdc, regardless of the actually battery voltage.
Lefty

Go Up