Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ESC power supply  (Read 1732 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

I want to connect an ESC brushless controller to an Arduino platform and then to the motor. I know that an ESC brushless controller does have 2 pins for the incoming supply for the motor, other 3 that goes to the motor and other 3 for the Arduino's signal.

The questions are:
1.Along the signal pin from the Arduino, there are those other 2 pins for supplying. What should I do with them? Connect them to the Arduino? Leave them alone?
2.What should be the voltage for the signal pin coming from Arduino? (I have a 3S battery for the motors, and a 2S battery for the platform)

Thank you,
RobertEagle
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:58:55 pm by RobertEagle » Logged

UK
mini mini mini
View Profile

battery -> ESC -> motor

and connect the gnd and signal on the servo lead to the arduino, a high of anything between 2.7v and 6v should work just fine.
remember if it's an aero ESC 1ms is stop and 2ms is full on, if it's a car esc 1.5ms is stop, 1ms is reverse and 2ms is forward.

If the ESC has a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) and is 5v you could run the arduino directly off it, but most these days are 6v, so best to source the supply from a separate switch mode or linear supply.

View Profile

Get it regarding the pins.

The ESC is a Roxxy BL Control 710: http://www.robbe.de/roxxy-blcontrol-710.html and here's a picture regarding the ESC info:

This means that I can connect it at 5V?

PS: There were some topics saying that the number of cells of the battery dictates the signal voltage. (for each cell/1.2v) Is that true?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:13:07 pm by RobertEagle » Logged

UK
mini mini mini
View Profile

Would suggest so, best to double check with a meter though.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Get it regarding the pins.

The ESC is a Roxxy BL Control 710: http://www.robbe.de/roxxy-blcontrol-710.html and here's a picture regarding the ESC info:

This means that I can connect it at 5V?

???, It means you can use the ESC's BEC +5vdc wire to power the arduino via it's 5V pin (and ground pin), regardless of what the battery voltage you are using. A BEC is basically a built in +5vdc voltage regulator.

PS: There were some topics saying that the number of cells of the battery dictates the signal voltage. (for each cell/1.2v) Is that true?

No, the ESC's PPM control signal input will be a logic level PPM digital control input signal, normally using the same logic level voltage that the arduino outputs, 0-+5vdc, regardless of the actually battery voltage.
Lefty

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

All RC equipment uses 5V servo signals as standard to my knowledge.  The servo signals are PWM not PPM (which is used over the air from TX to RX, not from RX to individual servos/ESCs)

The pulses should be at 50Hz or more, and the most common pulse-width range is 1ms to 2ms.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

UK
mini mini mini
View Profile

On old analogue radios the signal was battery voltage, the more recent 2.4GHz sets are commonly 2.7v which some old servos don't like, it also means if you're trying to measure the pulse width on a 5v arduino it's isn't 100% reliable.

SF Bay area
View Profile

The questions are:
1.Along the signal pin from the Arduino, there are those other 2 pins for supplying. What should I do with them? Connect them to the Arduino? Leave them alone?
2.What should be the voltage for the signal pin coming from Arduino? (I have a 3S battery for the motors, and a 2S battery for the platform)

1. connect signal and at least one ground (if you have multiple ESC). The supply line is unconnected, assuming you are powering the arduino separately.
2. use the signal pin as it is coming from arduino to the ESC. no need to level shift.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: