Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Reverse polarity protection?  (Read 1221 times)
Durham UK
aka Craig Turner
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I recently blew up a motor shield made by a third party because I attached the power leads the wrong way around. Lots of heat, smoke then a nice pop! Ok it was a cheap shield from HK, maybe it's karma. I since bought the kosher rev 3.0 board which is much better anyway.

I decided to put a reverse polarity protection circuit between the battery and the my project. I'm not sure whether it's absolutely necessary, but for a quid it's worth it I think.

Not sure if most Arduino hardware already has this. I guess (maybe wrongly) that if the hardware has a voltage regulator, it is protected, but I also note that many shields and other pieces rely on the regulator on the Main board, so if you power it directly (as in a motor shield) you can possibly fry it!

My circuit works, but not sure if it is a good circuit. Could someone with please offer advice?

Many thanks

* RPP_N-Mosfet.gif (8.43 KB, 857x562 - viewed 60 times.)

Craig Turner, blog: http://gampageek.blogspot.co.uk/ It helps with my learning if I write things down, esp. for others to follow (constructive comments welcomed to improve)

Portugal
Edison Member
Tomorrow I will know a BIT more than yesterday
View Profile

Another idea is use bridge rectifier.(4 diodes).
If you connect a bridge in a dc pure dc circuit you can swap the pins on the ~ input pins like you want.This is because the bridge only 2 diodes can work at a time and the outup + and - will be always right.
This provide a mistake protection against reverse polarity in the input.
See this page : http://highfields-arc.co.uk/constructors/other/revpolepro.htm
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:32:55 am by HugoPT » Logged

Debian,Mint,Ubuntu
Arduino Mega 2560
Arduino Nano
Arduino Duemilanove
MAC OS Montain Lion
Raspberry PI Model B

SW Scotland
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Nice little you-tube video on reverse polarity protection here 

Ontario
God Member
View Profile

In high-current applications a "crowbar" can be a useful low cost reverse polarity protection.  Include a fuse and a cheap large current rectifier that conducts if you power things the wrong way.  If you connect the supplies the wring way the fuse just blows.  When operating normally there is no voltage drop or power dissipation from rectifiers and no expensive mosfets.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

This is a known technique and I have see a very similar circuit that does work, thought I'd saved it but can find it right now.

Try Googling "FET used for reverser polarity detection" or some such.

I've used bridge rectifiers in the past, it's a simple method if you can afford the two diode drops.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Durham UK
aka Craig Turner
View Profile

Thanks people for the input. I feel more confident now and I'll stick with the Mosfet as it is very efficient for my project.

Could this be a suggestion for enhancing arduino shields and allied boards, ie to add a simple low power circuit that protects it from reverse polarity mistakes? MOSFETs only cost a few cents, which seems a good investment to save maybe tens of dollars.

Cheers

PS really liked the You-tube tutorials
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:09:35 am by trendski » Logged

Craig Turner, blog: http://gampageek.blogspot.co.uk/ It helps with my learning if I write things down, esp. for others to follow (constructive comments welcomed to improve)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: