Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Trouble soldering onto potentiometer tabs  (Read 525 times)
Northern California (by San Francisco)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I bought a small joystick that has two potentiometers attached to it. I had to solder wires onto the 3 tabs on each potentiometer, and had a devil of a time getting the solder to stick to the tabs.

I'm not the most skilled person with a soldering iron, and my iron is a poor one. Still, I have never had a problem like this. The solder sticks to the copper wires that I put through holes in the tabs and then twist to tighten. But the solder does not stick at all to the tabs.

I finally managed to get a workable join on each tab. But is there something I can do in such cases in the future? Does soldering flux help?

View Profile

Yes flux helps. It also helps if you degrease the area with a little ISO. You should look into getting a flux pen. You can buy them from any of the electronics suppliers like Digikey ETC. You can also get it in small bottles with a needle tip. What you want is called rosin flux. If you have lots of pine trees around you can also make it.

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

Take a knife blade and scrape the surface oxidation, or whatever it is, off the
tabs until they're nice and shiny.

Northern California (by San Francisco)
View Profile

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried scraping the tabs, but there is not much there to scrap. Plus there seems to be no oxidation or anything like that. I can't tell what type of material they are made out of, but whatever it is, the material seems to hate solder. Solder just won't stick.

I have not had a chance to try flux yet. I hope to do that soon.

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

Sounds like the tabs aren't getting hot enough.  Flux would help significantly.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

What type of solder are you using? If the tabs are pre-tinned - then mixing no-lead and lead-based solder can be a problem (though the fact that you can't scrape them seems to indicate they aren't tinned). Also - are you sure you are applying enough heat to the tab? Proper heating is very important for good solder joints and proper wetting.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: