Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Standalone atmega2560  (Read 1362 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi there,

I'm on a project where size and weight is more an issue than effort and price.

I'm asking you, because I want to be sure it works:

I can burn an atmega2560 with the Arduino Bootloader and then I'm able to work with it like with any Arduino? Same IDE, same coding language, same libraries and so on. Right?

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Yep.

I've done a few like that:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11637

Sweden
View Profile

Hi there,

I'm on a project where size and weight is more an issue than effort and price.

I'm asking you, because I want to be sure it works:

I can burn an atmega2560 with the Arduino Bootloader and then I'm able to work with it like with any Arduino? Same IDE, same coding language, same libraries and so on. Right?

Yes you can. The atmega2560 is "officially" supported in the arduino IDE =P! Just burn the bootloader that comes with Arduino IDE 1.0.1 and you're good to go! To me the atmega2560 is just a pain in the *** to solder =P!! May I ask what you're building/making?? If it's weight you're concerned about then I guess it's something that's going to fly eventually =P??

View Profile

Baselsw,

View Profile

That's right, it's going to be a tiny drone. A quadrocopter (those crosses with 4 propellers facing up).

Yes, I will solder it with a reflow technique. I do not see how this works, but obviously it does smiley-grin

Do I see this right, the programmer from Atmel is the only one capable of programming the 2560?

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile

You can load the bootloader with an Uno as described on Nick Gammon's website.

View Profile

I'll check that out, thanks.

One more question: is the Arduino USB connection just a FT232 adapter? Or is there something special?

Sweden
View Profile

Baselsw,

loolll.. I know how to solder the thing.. its just that i think It's a pain in the *** to solder SMD components.. thx anyway smiley-razz

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile

One more question: is the Arduino USB connection just a FT232 adapter? Or is there something special?

Yes, the FT232 is a good option. I have have been using a CP2102 USB to serial adapter like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CP2102-Module-STC-Download-Cable-USB-2-0-to-UART-TTL-6PIN-Serial-Converter-/320961133239?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abac63ab7

I don't remember which ebay seller I bought it from though.

You have to modify it a little to work with a bare Arduino. It requires the DTR pin to go to the RST pin through a 1uf capacitor and the original RST trace must be cut. It is easy.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

The more modern boards use a more sophisticated chip (Atmega8U2 or Atmega16U2).

To save weight I would use an FTDI cable and keep the functionality off-board. You don't need USB while in the air ... do you?

View Profile

I just put together a standalone 2560.  Its 1.6 x 2.6'', and weighs in at 12 grams.  It has the FTDI chip and a micro usb connector.  It has an external crystal, and a 5v regulator onboard.  I'm going to do a Kickstarters project within the next month to try to get the cost down.  I have some working now, but the final ones should be ready in another month.  I just have not got around to posting all the info on it yet. 

The board has double rows of pins on three sides.  I was working on making something that was a bit more embedable in my projects.

Let me know if your interested.  I have an extra rev1 board and can send a BOM.  Parts were $37.00 not including the board

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: