Go Down

Topic: Comparing in minutiae relative cylinder speeds (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

2Tricky

Aug 13, 2012, 05:21 pm Last Edit: Aug 13, 2012, 05:22 pm by 2Tricky Reason: 1
PeterH I've tried our fine dial gauge before now for just this reason but with poor results because the gauge is perhaps too sensitive to general vibration.  The cylinders have several lateral scribe marks across them which upsets the apple cart and some of the machines functions inhibit use of a gauge.

I like what you are saying about a couple of mice but I have no idea about Arduino.  I would be grateful for your view on hardware requirements for the 'Arduino OptiMouse library' route and hardware requirements for your preferred route too.  Would they both need an Arduino board or...and which board might that be?

Thanks a lot - 2Tricky

PeterH

Is there a fixed reference somewhere near the surface of the cylinder that you can use to position a fixed pointer just above the surface of the cylinder? Position the pointer as close to the surface as you can manage, so that the cylinder just barely avoids scraping it. If the cylinder is flexing towards the pointer it will make contact. Perhaps you will be able to see/hear that directly, but if not then apply some sort of colour to one part so that it leaves witness marks on the other. (Sorry, I can't visualize the physical setup well enough to give a less vague suggestion.)
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

2Tricky

Aug 13, 2012, 06:37 pm Last Edit: Aug 13, 2012, 06:55 pm by 2Tricky Reason: 1
I suspect that I can find a cylinder that has just one lateral scribe and persevere until I get a TIR but I admit to prefering to focus on speed fluctuation (as already brain stormed) because I believe the TIR and/or radial play is pretty small and the machine is generally well made and pretty 'stiff'.  Also: If TIR and/or radial play were a main factor, evidence would come in a pattern that would be expected to repeat with each revolution to a large extent but this does not really happen (incidentally the cylinder that I refer to is 'C' - the one that the operator changes) and there is a lateral load on each bearing to take out radial play - in the form of a spring.

N.B. The gear on cylinder 'A' is Agma grade 10 which is a good ground gear and so should not be producing its own pattern of errors (I hope).

Thanks PeterH - 2Tricky

PeterH

I would be grateful for your view on hardware requirements for the 'Arduino OptiMouse library' route and hardware requirements for your preferred route too.  Would they both need an Arduino board or...and which board might that be?

I haven't used the Arduino Optimouse library, but it's described here and doesn't seem to have any requirements for any particular Ardunio - if this is your first Arduino project I'd suggest starting with a Uno just because it's the most widely known and used variant. The Uno also gives you maximum flexibility for using add-on shields later if you find you need to go down that route. And of course you will need an optical mouse per cylinder that you want to monitor, and you'll need to look inside the mouse and find what chip it uses and track down the data sheet for that chip to find which pins do what.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

2Tricky

Thanks for your help with this PeterH, this is the page that first alerted me to Arduino and our conv. has re-whetted my appetite for an inexpensive route - maybe I should get a Arduino reference book to fill in some blanks such as interfacing it...

In the mean time I also dug up reference to the Windows Raw Input API that looks interesting and I have some experience that should help get started with it.  In the particular example scenario outlined, two mouse were considered and so maybe I could get that working in Excel for example where I have VBA experience.

As ever I'll keep my ears to the ground but continue to look around - cheers 2Tricky

Go Up