Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Video camera with arduino + image processing.  (Read 21931 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, I want to connect a color video camera to my Arduino and process the data I get (Object recognition by color and such). I know the Arduino is not powerful enough to handle complex image processing but I only need simple processing. I am also looking for a cheap video camera(up to 40$) that I can hook up to the Arduino.

The camera doesn't need high resolution or high image quality just to capture video and preferably digital so I won't have to add a circuit to translate analog signals to digital.

if you have experience with an Arduino+camera and image processing using the arduino(not a pc) I would like to hear about it.

We were born naked, wet and hungry. And then things get worse!!!
View Profile

http://embeddedeye.com/profiles/blogs/turn-your-arduino-into-an

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Well that add on board does:-

the Tam4 at 4x32 pixels.

So it is not very high resolution.

I know the Arduino is not powerful enough to handle complex image processing but I only need simple processing.
The truth is you can't do any sort of image processing at any sort of quarter decent resolution on an arduino without having a ton of extra stuff bolted on.

View Profile

these resolutions are very small and if you say I need to give up image processing on the Arduino, can you recommend a relatively cheap processor for this task?(my first thought is raspberry pi)

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Yes potentially a Raspberry Pi could do it, but it is still a bit of a work in progress at the moment. It is planned to have a camera board specially designed for it, but it is not ready yet.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

these resolutions are very small and if you say I need to give up image processing on the Arduino, can you recommend a relatively cheap processor for this task?(my first thought is raspberry pi)

Things to consider (may not be up to your needs or requirements):

http://nootropicdesign.com/ve/

...also:

http://www.jrobot.net/Projects/AVRcam.html

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

View Profile

I know exactly what you need. If you already have a Android Phone. Get this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10748
and your project is half done.

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

A Beaglebone might be the answer. It is, apparently, capable of running OpenCV.

http://beagleboard.org/bone/

View Profile

That IOIO for android is nice but I need my project to be standalone not related to my phone.
I am checking out beagleboard to see if it will fit my needs.

NYC
The singularity is near!
View Profile

Might you give some idea what your application is? It would expand the discussion.

View Profile

Just object recognition by color(red) I need to recognize one or a number of stationary round objects(not perfectly round) in my camera's frame. The camera will be mounted on a robot that will walk and recognize these round objects in his environment.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Just object recognition by color(red) I need to recognize one or a number of stationary round objects(not perfectly round) in my camera's frame. The camera will be mounted on a robot that will walk and recognize these round objects in his environment.

Natures warning sign: if it were easy, you would already see thousands of similar projects. If you don't see them, there is probably a reason.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

NYC
The singularity is near!
View Profile

Use a smartphone. If you don't have one, ask friends and family for an old one. It does not require phone call capability which is why an old phone is ideal. Smartphones support openCV which you could then play with for hours. I'd also recommend you send the images to a PC for R&D. It is a better practice to work with image processing on a PC with OpenCV, Octave or MatLab. Once you figure out what you are doing, then recode it on a smartphone. OpenCv on a PC is better is because it is funner. You are more likely to get it working and have fun doing it.

View Profile

That won't help me I need the robot to be microprocessor based not smartphone based and I need it to work without the aid of a PC. Simple object recognition can be done with analyzing the color of each pixel in a frame's scanline and going through all the scanlines in a frame, I don't need high fps and can lower the frames I actually process to 10 or even 5 in a 30 fps camera, this combined with a not so high resolution will enable me to create this robot.

I know I sound like I am trying to build Rome( smiley-razz ) but with some thinking I can make this project work, I am sure someone did something similar before.

zoomkat - So if it turns out it wasn't done before so what? I'll try it, this is far from impossible.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:38:28 pm by Shploop » Logged

We were born naked, wet and hungry. And then things get worse!!!
View Profile

You already have all your options listed. You will have to choose one of those.
Or, simply get a color sensor http://www.sunrom.com/sensors/color/color-sensor . It recognizes the color, but not the object. The rest depends on your coding.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: