Go Down

Topic: Arduino board fried? (Read 570 times) previous topic - next topic

l8nightcaffeine91

Hello, I have been working on an independent project programed with arduino, but on a perf board. I'm still testing everything. This includes lots of programing the chip on my arduino uno, and taking the chip out and putting it into my project to test it. Nothing has actually been connected to the headers for a few days. However now the arduino board seems unresponsive. It will not reset. I cannot upload any sketches to it. I attempted using a wall wart, but it still would not reset.

I had a couple atmega328 chips and both do the same thing. I can reset the chip on the perf board. The chip does not warm up. The sketch that is on it is still working correctly, and resets.

Is the arduino uno board fried? how can I tell if it is...How did pulling a chip in and out fry it? I usually turned the arduino uno board off before putting the chip in and out, but forgot once or twice

thanks for any advice.

CrossRoads

5V and 3.3V look okay on the board?
With the chip out, connect Rx to Tx and see if the loopback test works.
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,73748.0.html
If not, either your USB cable is bad, or you likely damaged the USB/Serial chip. In which case you're pretty much out of luck.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

l8nightcaffeine91

hmm looks like your right on with the usb/serial chip. My computer wont even recognize that the arduino is plugged in, I tried my other OS and that didn't seem to recognize the arduino either. My question is why will it not reset? I was under the impression that that all the reset did was ground the reset pin. This works on my perf. but not on the board. the 5v and 3.3v were both good for usb or wall wart power.

CrossRoads

Do you have a multimeter? See if the reset pin is being held low - which would be always reset.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

l8nightcaffeine91

nope, the reset pin reads 5v

l8nightcaffeine91

hmmm scratch the no reset. I think i was simply expecting led pin 13 to blink or do something....the reset pin is getting grounded when the button is pushed and is likely restarting...i just have nothing connected to the headers.

Thanks for your help...even if its not what I wanted to hear :) what could have caused it...and how to prevent it happening on arduino #2

CrossRoads

"I usually turned the arduino uno board off before putting the chip in and out, but forgot once or twice"

May have done it. Hardt to say.

Go Up