Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Cheaper USB to serial options  (Read 879 times)
California
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I was trying to find a cheaper, easier to solder solution for putting a USB to serial adapter on a homemade arduino and was wondering if this will do the trick? I'm trying to look at arduino schematics but I can't really decipher them. But I figure this chip has got 2 ports, for pins 0 and 1. Will that work?

Thanks.

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

That chip is for power.  It has nothing to do with USB to Serial.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

California
View Profile

Doh... Ok well how about this one?
http://www.newark.com/microchip/mcp2200-i-so/ic-usb-sw-12mbps-soic-20/dp/52R9947

Edison Member
View Profile

I believe you can use vusb, search that and arduino you should find some results,
it uses the atmega328 itself so no additional hardware
no clue how hard. Tho it seems a bit complicated

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Glue one of these on your board.
Connect +5, Gnd, Rx, Tx, and add a wire to the DTR hole  to a 0.1uF cap in series to your 10K reset pullup resistor for software resets during downloads.
Do not connect anything to the Reset pin on the module.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CP2102-USB-2-0-to-UART-TTL-6PIN-Module-Serial-Converter-/180924152585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1feb7b09

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

California
View Profile

I was hoping to integrate it into my board cleanly. Maybe when I get my new soldering station I could manage .65mm leads.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

With a FTDI chip? Get a stencil from proto-advantage.com too then. Difficult part to solder cleanly.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Norfolk UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I was hoping to integrate it into my board cleanly. Maybe when I get my new soldering station I could manage .65mm leads.
I have used these to mount DS3231 in breadboard/protoboard projects http://www.schmartboard.com/index.asp?page=products_smttodip&id=448

There is no such thing as a stupid question but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

California
View Profile

I etch the boards myself so I wouldn't mind soldering a soic. But anything smaller I'm not sure. I just tried making my own breadboard adapter for some .5mm connectors and it could have gone better. Multimeter says it checks out as far as I can tell but I havn't tested it yet. I hope it gets easier when I upgrade from my 15w radioshack iron. But I don't want to put my eggs in any basket with leads smaller than soic yet, as it were.

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

You want something easier to solder or you want something that is cheaper?  Your original question was about cost.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

View Profile

Once you have the right equipment and a bit of practice Its really easy to drag solder chips like the FTDI's, a station like the FX-888 will work great, although I use Weller gull wing tips you can do it with a chisel tip just fine. http://youtu.be/Ee3SsR97EKA. As for cost I would imagine maybe using a MSP430 with USB firmware maybe one of the cheapest solutions. Although now I just throw an Atmega32u4 on something if it needs native USB and Arduino compatibility.

Leeds, UK
Edison Member
Once the magic blue smoke is released, it won't go back in!
View Profile

For usb-serial, I use a PIC18F14K50. It is dirt cheap (<£2), requires only a couple of capacitors, a resistor, and a 12MHz crystal (with capacitors). It is available in a DIP package, so can be used on veroboard or breadboards, and I seem to recall finding a sketch which allows the hex file to be downloaded with an arduino. It is also available in 1.27mm SOIC, and 0.65mm SSOP.
In case you are interested, I attached the hex file and driver for it, along with the schematic.

* AstroEQ USB-Serial.hex (20.64 KB - downloaded 8 times.)
* mchpcdc.cat (6.1 KB - downloaded 6 times.)
* mchpcdc.inf (3.33 KB - downloaded 6 times.)
* USB-Serial.sch (554.78 KB - downloaded 11 times.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:55:38 pm by Tom Carpenter » Logged

~Tom~

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

If you are making your own board, why bother with USB-to-serial conversion at all? If it is only for programming your board, program it using ICSP instead. If you need USB connectivity for something else, then base your design on the Arduino Leonardo (the chip used in the Leonardo has the USB interface built in).

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Europe
View Profile

Glue one of these on your board.
Connect +5, Gnd, Rx, Tx, and add a wire to the DTR hole  to a 0.1uF cap in series to your 10K reset pullup resistor for software resets during downloads.
Do not connect anything to the Reset pin on the module.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CP2102-USB-2-0-to-UART-TTL-6PIN-Module-Serial-Converter-/180924152585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1feb7b09

best solution permanently, i got mines for 2$ each

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: