Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ATmega 1284 bootloader  (Read 4495 times)
maryland-USA
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

anyone know of a bootloader , that works...i have been through 11 of them...one sort of works:the mighty 1284 with optiboot...it sort of works because i can load the program using the arduino as a programming board, but it doesn't load as a sketch...go figure...i know this subject has been beat up on various boards....so anybody had a bootloader that actually works using a arduino as an ISP?

I'm old and started too late with microcontrollers

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Did you try the bootloader for the Arduino Mega (1280)?  The ATmega1284 should be a lot like the ATmega1280 but with fewer pins.

My understanding is that chips with larger memories (1280/2560) require the newer STK500V2 protocol for bootloader burning.  My further understanding is that the ArduinoISP sketch only implements the STK500V1 protocol.  It may be that you need to buy a real ISP to burn a bootloader on your 1284 chip. smiley-sad

You can get the USBasp programmer from eBay for under $4, including free shipping from China!

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

maryland-USA
View Profile

i'll try for the 1280 ...i plan to get a USBtiny for Adafruit soon.....its just funny that the Arduino will load it from the programmer level and not from the sketch

maryland-USA
View Profile

1280 bootloader doesn't work....lot of difference between 100 pins and 40 pins

Dallas, Texas
God Member
Old, decrepit curmugeon
View Profile

The core described on this thread http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,80483.0.html, has several bootloaders that work with the 1284 series.

The problems reported seem to be from folks who program via one of the ad hoc tools, rather than the AVR ISP MKII...  I will admit I haven't had much luck with his optiboot version, but have no problem with his original bootloader.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:29:19 pm by wanderson » Logged

New true random number library available at: http://code.google.com/p/avr-hardware-random-number-generation/

Current version 1.0.1

maryland-USA
View Profile

using a USBtinyISP works or the arduino as ISP....just using the sketch on Arduino 1.0 doesn't work for some reason. the only bootloader that works is steve marple one....and then you can only upload with ISP

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

using a USBtinyISP works or the arduino as ISP....just using the sketch on Arduino 1.0 doesn't work for some reason. the only bootloader that works is steve marple one....and then you can only upload with ISP

What sketch above are you referring to?

the only bootloader that works is steve marple one....and then you can only upload with ISP

But if you upload a sketch with ISP then one isn't using the bootloader, I'm confused, again.  smiley-wink
Lefty
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:57:31 pm by retrolefty » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I have a newly installed & unmodified 1.0.1, I'll give it a shot shortly.

maniacbug I think did a great job putting the core files together, and making a couple of board types so there are options:

https://github.com/maniacbug/mighty-1284p#readme
http://maniacbug.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/arduino-on-atmega1284p-4/

I don't have any comment on the Arduino as ISP process.    I had a dedicated programmer for '328s, the one from mdfly.com, that I used for a while.

After I got my system hosed with mixed up download speeds between bootloaders & IDE, I just stuck with using Atmel's AVR Studio 5.1 & an AVR ISP MKii for the bootloader, initially so I could easily check on the fuses & lockbits, and also because it was faters, and FTDI Basic for sketches. More recently I got some forum help getting around the default Jungo driver for the MKii so that the IDE could be used for bootloading, and now I just do that as the IDE comes up way faster than Studio 5.

There's the work WestfW to make a standalone bootloader
https://github.com/WestfW/

and that NickGammon expanded on with more description including updating to cover the larger chips
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635

and went even farther with loading sketches from SD card
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11638

I don't know if I can add significantly to all that, I'll see what I can do tho.

I do know I have a working bootloader that installs first time and sketches go in first time too.
Can't confirm it covers really large sketches, I've never gone that big, I've generally just needed dual serial and more IO pins without the necessity of adding shift registers to get there.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

maryland-USA
View Profile

i know uploading a sketch with a isp is not using a bootloader...its the hex file.....the sketch is the the program you write, then upload to the micro...its just i haven't found a bootloader that works for the ATmega1284

maryland-USA
View Profile

Thanks for the info crossroads

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I've posted this before. This is the one that I install using Atmel AVR ISP MKii, selected within the IDE.

* optiboot_atmega1284p.hex (1.47 KB - downloaded 54 times.)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: